<USS Banshee> Crew Manual Revisited

  • From: Victor Andros <victor_andros@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:46:49 -0700 (PDT)

Once again, I ask for everyone to read through this, as I have made some more
modifications (mostly cosmetic, but that can make all the difference). Notable
changes have been made to the attendance policy (because the old one was, in my
opinion, unrealistic) and accepted reference material. I love FASA to death,
believe me, but their old Star Trek RPG from the 60's is so out of date it's
ridiculous. They made up a lot of stuff that was later canonized differently
with TNG and the other later series. Thus, I have replaced the two old RPG
series with the new one from Decipher that I recently picked up. It is
*amazing* and I encourage any table-toppers out there to give it a look. Thanks!

Captain Andros

USS Banshee

Welcome aboard!  Please take a moment to review the crew manual.  Within is
some very basic yet important information to help you have a long and
fulfulling career on the USS Banshee

Captain Andros

Crew Manual

Simulation Policies

In order to maintain a quality simulation and an enjoyable atmosphere, it is
necessary for all officers to abide by the following simulation policies. Your
presence and interaction in the simulation indicates that you have read and
understand each of the policies outlined below. If you have any questions about
these policies, please send email to victor_andros@xxxxxxxxx and/or
cyanah@xxxxxxxxxxx

Attendance

To promote better play among all members of this simulation, it is necessary
that crew members attend a majority of the games. To this end, unexplained
absences or chronic absences make sim play difficult when attempting to
maintain a storyline. Therefore, for these reasons and to accommodate new
members who want to play on an advanced sim, the following policy is hereby in
force.

If you are going to be absent you are required to inform Captain Andros and/or
Commander Kaelyre at least four hours prior to the simulation (excluding
emergencies) by e-mail. The more notice that is given, the better.

If you must leave the simulation for an extended period of time (over a month
or more) please inform us at least one week in advance, and request a leave of
absence. This leave of absence insures your inclusion in the simulation upon
your return. However, upon returning you may not be positioned at the st ation
you were before the leave of absence.

Leave of absences are limited to 3 months. Extensions will be handled on a case
to case basis and will be at the sole discretion of the Command Team.

If you miss four or more consecutive simulations without notifying us you will
be removed from the ship's roster. We will assume that you are no longer
interested in the simulation and have resigned.

Sim Timeline and Background

The sim takes place in the 24th century slightly after the time of The Next
Generation/Deep Space 9 Series. For convenience, and to avoid confusion, rather
than using the actual Stardate system that was used for the series, our
convention is to use our current yymm.dd and simply assume that it's for the
24rd century. So if today is May 3rd 2002, then the sim date would be 0205.03
in the 24th century (or 240205.03).

Promotions And Initial Ranks

All new officers joining the USS Banshee sim are asked to carry the rank of
Ensign. Promotions will be at the discretion of the Command Team. Promotions
will be based on attendance, logs, participation, and teamwork and overall
attitude. Ranks for officers transferring in from another ship will be at the
sole discretion of the Command Team.

Character Biographies

Please create a biography of your character within a month of joining the sim.
This will enable the crew to get to know you and your character. All
biographies must be approved by the Command Team of the sim prior to general
distribution to the crew.
For accuracy of simming, we will strictly adhere to the races and inventions
that were used in this time. We do not, for example, encounter any species from
the Delta quadrant and the Voyager series. (Unless approved by the Command Team
or is introduced through one of the ship plotlines.)  Please note that
fictional books will *not* be accepted as pure fact, but in some cases, may be
used as "guidelines", to obtain backgroun d information. Information from these
sources may be acceptable upon approval of the Command Team

Those interested in creating a Federation character may create any character
within the realm of Star Trek. Also, please do not create a character that
would have been an "enemy" of the Federation during the timeline of this sim,
for example, Founders, Jem Haddar, Vorta, Breen, etc. (Romulans, Cardassians,
Klingons, at the discretion of the Command Team, as they have only recently
become allies again, not many would have been working their way through the
academy at the time).

No supernatural powers, no death-rays from the eyes, no sprouting wings and
flying, please (though winged creatures may be OK with approval from the
Command Team). As always, the Command Team is available for questions if you
are uncertain, and all decisions are final.

Character Logs

Logs add greatly to character development within the simulation. However, when
engaging in character development, care is required. If your character
development will have effects on the characters of other players, you MUST
confer with those players before posting logs and sending email. A typical
example of this would be a post that contains a meeting/discussion between your
character and others. Before the message is posted, it must be approved by all
the parties involved.

If you are using the others in any type of action/vocabulary, you must get
their complete approval first before you post the log. Often, after you have
played with certain people, they will trust some to run their character, but
that is entirely up to those involved. However, you may use your thoughts of
that person, without any harm done. (e.g., You may dream, think about, or
envision the person doing/saying something, but in reality, it's only your
perception). A simple rule is to use common courtesy when dealing with
character development.

Also, remember that any information learned from a personal log, is exactly
that, personal. If you were not there to see/hear it, then you would have no
knowledge of it, until either told or finding out on your own.

Special Guest Villains/Friends
From time to time, special character interaction is required for the
simulation. At these times, special guest villains (SGV's) or special guest
friends (SGF's) are called for. Some of these may truly be visitors, or, since
most missions do not require the use of every ship department, we may
occasionally ask a member of the crew to fill one of these roles. While you are
not required to be a SGV/SGF, we appreciate your cooperation when needed.

Character Interaction

This is a game, played for enjoyment; it is natural to assume that a variety of
circumstances will occur. However, please understand that while this simulation
is not real, we still expect an atmosphere of realism. Thus, it is expected
that your character will not engage in a ctions that exceed the bounds of what
can be called, realistic. There are no "super heroes"; just a team of dedicated
officers.

Those players that have characters disposed to obtaining telepathic abilities,
remember that it often takes many, many years to become adept at it. Vulcans
are "touch" telepaths when exchanging thoughts with anyone they are not
personally close to, Betazoids, are mostly of empathic ability with a few
exceptions. So basically, you can't just go around reading thoughts.

Likewise, the ship does not heal herself. Any damage the ship receives must be
repaired. Please note, repairs take time, they are not instantaneous: no "magic
bullets." Finally, while 24th century technology is quite advanced, Star Trek
has its limits, and we work within them.

Please be aware that each of us has "feelings". Out-of-character attacks upon
another crew member will not be tolerated. There is absolutely nothing wrong
with two "characters" arguing, but make sure that each person understands it is
a "character" interaction. If the Command Team feels the interaction is
disrupting the simulation, we will warn you via IM or email. Continued
disruption will be dealt with through expulsion from the sim.

NPC's. Remember, that a person's NPCâ??s are theirs to use. If you need to
borrow them, or they were with you when the sim paused...contact the NPCâ??s
originator to OK any use of that character.  (Just like you would if you were
using that person's main character.)

Sim Conduct

Remember, this is a game. Because someone's character and yours do not get
along in the sim, please do not take things to a personal level. Likewise, if
you and another character's player do not get along outside the sim....leave it
there. Infighting will not be tolerated on board this ship.

Respect of your fellow crew members ideas and feelings. Again, most of us are
not perfect...though many of you strive to be one of the few. Everyone is
entitled to an opinion, be it right or wrong. Remember...those that are
engineers in the sim, may be a biologist in real life. Do NOT get angry at
someone if they happen to get their science wrong. An email with helpful hints
may help a person out, however, sending IM's and Emails berating a person for
what they've said, done, written, logged is not acceptable at any time. If
ANYONE has a problem, it IS to be brought to the Command Team's attention, and
we will meet with you to discuss the problem.

Email or IM's yelling, insulting, or being just plain mean to someone
ABSOLUTELY will not be tolerated!! If you receive this type of correspondence,
please bring it to our attention immediately.

Note: If we are considered the problem, it should still route to us, and we can
meet to discuss. If you are uncomfortable with just us, we'll try to get
another CPA facilitator to lend a hand in moderating the discussion.

Mailstring Policy

Please remember that the USS Banshee mailstring should only be used for sim
correspondence. Please do not use these mailstrings to send non-sim material,
chainmail, spam or transfer them to any mass mail group.

It can be accessed through e-mailing ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and all messages
are archived at www.freelists.org

Accepted Reference Material

References to any and all information of "Star Trek The Next Generation" and or
"Star Trek", the series are registered trademarks of Paramount Pictures. "R"
all rights reserved.
"Star Trek The Next Generation Technical Manual" by Rick Sternbach and Michael
Okuda
.
"Star Trek Chronology" by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda

"The Star Trek Encyclopedia" by Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda and Debbie Mirek

"Star Trek Starfleet Technical Manual" by Franz Joseph

"Star Trek :The Next Generation Roleplaying Game". Copyright 2002. Published by
Decipher under license from Paramount Pictures Corporation, the trademark
owner.