<USS Banshee> "A Galaxy Apart"

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <groundzero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:48:15 -0700

“A Galaxy Apart”
by Lieutenant Commander Joshua Asper
& Lieutenant JG Telsia Ehling

It wasn't anything like the USS Iliad – that much was obvious. The loneliness was the same and other than the guard that was quieter than a meditating Vulcan, Josh was all by his lonesome. It gave him time to think and it was a welcome change to the always going always doing something life that he'd lived for so long. However, the time for the reflection had come and gone and the solitude was beginning to get to him again.

Josh longed for his fiancé, his son, and for the interaction that came with being a free man. I should be a free man, Josh said to himself, I didn't know what was going on! It was true, for the most part, he hadn't been asked if he could be experimented on like some caged lab rat. If given the option he would've taken traditional means to cure himself, but that wasn't the case. Then, in the shambled mess of his thoughts, the darkness and clouds cleared. She was there.

Tel stood in the shadows looking at Josh in his cell, his prison. She hated seeing him like this, locked up as though he was a criminal. No matter what anyone could say, Telsia would never believe that the love of her life deserved this sort of treatment. Taking a deep breath, she moved forward, letting the light hit her, announcing her presence. There was a moment of absolute silence as both parties looked over the other. Finally Tel opened her mouth and spoke to Josh for the first time in many days. "Hi," was all she could seem to come up with, a pathetic attempt but Telsia wasn’t really sure what to say, so instead, she stood there awkwardly, waiting to see if Josh would accept her greeting.

"Hi," Josh managed to respond, "how are things?" The conversation was awkward and they both knew it, but what else could they expect given the situation? Josh folded his arms on his lap and looked at her. She had a radiance that was rivaled by no one and a posture that would make most statues blush. She didn't deserve the emotions he knew she was feeling any more than he deserved to be locked away.

"They’re going, " she said with a shrug. Timidly, Tel moved forward till she was nearly touching the forcefield that kept Josh away from her. "How are you doing?" she asked, wondering why he wasn’t yelling at her, telling her to leave that he never wanted to see her again, after what she did to him.

"Enjoying my spacious new accommodations," Josh said with a smirk as he waved his hands in the direction of his small cell. "I miss you and I miss Cameron. I don't know what's going to happen, Tel, I just don't. It's all up in the air and it just seems to get worse and worse by the minute." He wasn't upset or worried about the circumstances, but he knew that he must take them head on. If not for himself and his own future, but for the future of his son and his family.

Nodding in understanding, Tel crossed her arms in front of her. "I know how it’s going, I keep myself up to date with everything that is involving you; plus, Sara tells me some stuff so that I won’t freak out. " She looked around, seemingly helplessly before bringing her eyes back to his. "I miss you so much Josh. They moved Cameron and I into new quarters, away from everything that reminds me of you. I can’t stand this, not being near you, not being able to smell you of feel your warmth. I’m so sorry Josh, I’m so sorry; this is all my fault. " Tel covered her face with her hands as tears began coursing down her face and sobs shook her shoulders.

Standing up Josh moved as close to her as he could. "Hey," Josh said as he nearly touched the forcefield, "none of this is your fault. I don't want you ever to feel that way. This is my past and this is my mistake that I have to pay for. You were just unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Things will get better and things will return to normal; well, whatever normal is for the Banshee. Just remember that I love you more than anything."

More then anything Tel just wanted to fall into Josh’s arms and let him comfort her, but she knew that the guard wouldn’t let down the force field for her. She had to be happy with just being able to look at Josh. "But Josh, this is my fault. Before they arrested you and forced you into sickbay to under go those tests, I talked to Sara, I told her about my worries for you and about the medicine you asked me to get for you,"

Tel lowered her head, unable to look at Josh anymore while she confessed. "I was just so worried, you hadn’t been acting yourself and you didn’t seem happy with Cameron and I and I figured since you and Sara had dated once, that maybe she would know you better then I do and could give me some advice. I’m sorry, I never meant for any of this to happen, I just wanted to have you back to normal and happy with us again, that’s all, I’m so sorry."

Telsia moved away from the force field and took another deep breath, trying to calm her heart, while tears poured silently down her face. "I…I know that you don’t love me anymore and that Cameron and I have become a burden to you. I just wanted to let you know that I love you. I always have and I always will, no man will ever compare to you; I just hope you’ll be able to forgive me for what I did." Her heart felt like it was breaking for a second as she talked with Josh, but she knew it needed to be said, she just hated saying all of it.

It hit him like a brick. Without a second glance he threw his feelings about it out the window. "I don't care about what you told Sara, Tel. What matters to me is that you're here with Cameron and me. I love you more than life itself and Cameron even more! There's nothing that could tear me away from either of you. Above all else, you have to believe that much to be true. You are no burden to me. I'm sorry if my actions came across like that to you, but it wasn't my intention in the least."

Josh moved back towards his seat and he wanted nothing more than to turn and charge through the forcefield. He was never really good with words, but it would have to be sufficient in dealing with her since his touch couldn't be conveyed to her. It ate at his soul what she was going through - what HE was putting her through - and there wasn't a thing that he could do about it. "I'm the one that should be sorry."

Tel looked over at the guard, with a pleading look on her face, it was killing her that she couldn’t hug Josh, couldn’t even touch his face. She knew it was useless though to ask to be let into Josh’s cell, still her heart begged so hard for it that she was certain the guard could hear her silently crying out. Turning away from the guard she looked back at Josh. "Josh, I love you so much. I don’t want you to leave me again, I don’t know if I could take it. I lost you once before and my life was nearly destroyed, I don’t want to lose you again."

She put her hand up near the force field, making sure she didn’t touch it and closed her eyes, pretending she was touching Josh’s face. "No matter what happens, I will always love you and if your forced to leave I will follow you and if they won’t let me then I want you to know that I will wait forever for you to come back to me, to Cameron. I love you so much Josh."

Josh put up his hand and nearly matched hers with the exception of the forcefield separating them. There were no words to convey his feelings for her or for their son. So, he stood there with his palm - his soul - outstretched to her. The only thing that he could do to express his emotion to her is let the one solitary tear slide down his cheek.