<USS Atlantis> Engineering the Past

  • From: EnsignFJ@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussatlantis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:28:42 EDT

Engineering the Past
Personal Log of Ensign FJ

Scene::Ensign FJ is spending another lonely shift in engineering, making sure
everything is running well::

       Looking over the countless number of systems that make up the
engineering department can be a tough job. Tonight I am running a complete
diagnostic of all systems, a just in case thing.  Often when I do these
things my thoughts begin to drift, sometimes thinking of friends, wondering
where they are, and sometimes thinking of family and wondering just why?
       I never met my mother, and only once saw my real father, being adopted
by two vulcans living on the Alpha Centari moon was a truely unique
experience, especially for my age.  Both my foster parents insist I follow
the Vulcan philosphys of Logic over feelings. Obviously that would be
difficult to obtain, considering I am not in any way Vulcan.  As a form of
punishment I was sent on a "learning trip on one of the Alpha Centarian ships
known as the Freedom.  The Freedom's purpose was to be a space police, and
make sure all trade laws were followed.  Ilegal import/exporting of forbidden
drugs was the main enemy at the time.  Shoot-outs with pirate ships was a
common occurrance.  My first full year I was scared to death, even at a young
age I could tell that the ship was very old and needed major repairs to the
warp core.  Looking back at the days I served as the assistant to the bridge
crew were easy compared to what I was faced with.  So many Battles and So
much blood shed moved me up the ladder quickly and within 11 years time I was
serving as the Commanding Officer of the Freedom.
       Commanding the Freedom seemed to be a challenge at the time, but
looking at it now, it was one I was unready for.  I met a woman on the
Freedom and married her, the marriage was a happy one, but ended in
destruction.  You've never felt heart-ache and misery till you watch out the
small window in a 1 man escape pod as the pod carrying your wife is blown to
a million pieces, along with a ship that was my responsibility.  Then when
you are at the lowest point of your life to be discharged and blamed for the
loss of 100s of people.  Sometimes I think I should be an Assistant in
Starfleet forever, that way I can do less damage, but in others I honestly
want to take command of a vessel again, to show I am sane, and that I can
compentently command a crew without killing them.  The next time I sit in the
big chair will be the proudest moment of my life, but will also be a
flashback to a million images frozen in my memory forever.
::Ensign FJ's train of thought is intrerupted by a Engineering Ensign asking
about something::
::Ensign FJ begins running test on the systems again, and begins thinking
again::
I wonder if that is why I have the habit of running test over and over again
on all systems, I dont want to see the same thing happen twice on my watch.

::The computer beeps that the diagnostic is done, takes a PADD out and makes
notes and walks into Chief Engineers office, and lays it on top of the 2
other PADDs I have filled out for him, looks over at chair I broke playing in
his office::
I gotta get that thing fixed before he notices.

::walks out of Chief Engineers office and through Main engineering, into the
walkway and finally into Private Quarters::
Tonight should be a good nights sleep
::lays down not even taking uniform off::        ::starts to fall asleep
knowing tonights dreams should be a little more pleasant, they are always
better after a hard days work::