[USS Athena] "Dodging Bullets"

  • From: T'Shana Tubed <antediluvian2370@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Athena <ussathena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:18:25 -0700 (PDT)

Dodging Bullets

    Noah's voice coming over the comm snapped T'Shana from her thoughts about
the Athena's recent guests. For the longest moment, she stared at the
diagnostic
readout she was analyzing before it actually sunk in who was calling her.
    The second she put it together she also realized Noah calling on her could
mean several things, most of them meaning trouble in the long run. She had not
told him yet how she had gotten over her little problem. Of course, it could
very well be that he wanted something else, but for some reason the sound of
his
voice made a cold chill run down her back. And that was unusual, considering
Noah was a nice man, and she liked him.
    Just as she raised her hand to tap the comm badge and answer him, Pete
Stronovski marked into the room and straight up to her. He slapped a PADD down
on the console.
    "I don't know how you do it that everyone always wants you for the special
assignments, but here you go again," he huffed. "I'm suppose to tell you that
Commander Svonn requests your presence for a special mission."
    T'Shana stared at the Lieutenant. She was genuinely surprised, especially
considering who had made the request. Pete only frowned. He definitely was not
pleased. He not only outranked her, but was most definitely senior to her in
time spent on the Athena. Heck. Everyone was!
    "Maybe he's looking for a very specific... specialty in those that
accompany
him?" T'Shana ventured, not quite sure herself why she even bothered to try and
appease Stronovski.
    Pete leaned onto the console and toward her. With a snide tone, "And what
'specialty' would that be? ... Sticky jobs?"
    T'Shana gaped. Then her eyes darkened with anger. She snatched the PADD
from
the console with a huff, "Better than stinky ones," and marched off.

    It wasn't until she stepped into the turbolift and the door hissed to a
close that she remembered she had not yet commed Noah. She let herself fall
against the wall and cast her eyes up at the ceiling with a long sigh.
    She may have dodged the bullet for a while with the sudden assignment to
the
mission, but was she only trading that relief with another problem? Svonn?
    "Computer, shuttle deck," she ordered, then tapped the comm badge as the
lift began to move. "Doctor, I'm not sure what you need, but whatever it is, it
will have to wait. I was just called up to be part of a mission led by
Commander
Svonn. Maybe we can talk later? Or is it something I can just answer you over
the comm?"

 "Knowledge becomes wisdom only after it has been put to practical use."