[usbproxy] Re: noob

  • From: Mike Mannion <mannion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usbproxy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:26:24 -0400

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Dominic Spill <dominicgs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 27 July 2015 at 03:50, Mike Mannion <mannion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Personally I can see how configfs could be seen as more elegant of a
solution, but I think gadgetfs is needed to maintain lower level
functionality (even though I can't figure out how to use it myself). But
I'm
not a kernel developer so I'll stop and avoid a futile rant.

configfs doesn't give us the option of writing arbitrary devices or
copying device descriptors from another device. As far as I
understand it, these devices will always appear to the target host as
composite devices. I'd love for someone to show me that I'm wrong but
as it stands, this is a deal breaker for USBProxy.

This sucks, hopefully I won't have to go into the kernel to accomplish what
I want.
It seems like there was an older kernel mode project usbsniffer,
unfortunately gitorious.org
<git://gitorious.org/beagleboard-usbsniffer/beagleboard-usbsniffer-kernel.git>
is
down and I can't find the source to build on.

I will be looking gadgetfs and kernel stuff, if I find a solution I'll be
sure to tell you.

We use a specific version of libusb to work around devices that
automatically get attached to a kernel driver. This means that you
need to
use the version that was installed on the BBB OS image that was
published.

Thanks for this, I'll retry with a clean setup making sure to use the
correct version. Which version should be used?

You can use the latest libusb from http://libusb.info/

thanks

Thanks, I guess I try to reverse engineer what usb.c does, it seems
vaguely
similar to functionfs which I've had to do something similar with.

You could also look at our code in USBProxy, but it was in turn mostly
derived from usb.c.

Thanks, the preference was due to size of code,

Regards,
Mike