[usbca_chess] Re: chess.com Web Site Accessability

  • From: Jim <jhomme1028@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:51:04 -0500

Hi all.

Chessgames.com has a setting where you can get FEN instead of images, and a
feature called guess the move, which may be helpful.

Jim H

On Nov 11, 2015, at 8:11 AM, Lucas Radaelli <lucasradaelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was about to write a similar e-mail, as I was looking for training software
to help me improve my chess.

I tried the chesstempo.com website, which I've heard that was very good to
practice tactics. Unfortunately the board is not accessible and I also created
a forum post to talk to developers to ask for solutions, if you guys could add
your voices to mine that would be awesome:
http://chesstempo.com/chess-forum/site_feedback/accessibility_of_the_web_site_for_visually_impaired_players-t6845.0.html

In addition, if anyone is aware of any software that could help me practice
tactics in general, I would love to hear your comments. I started playing only
two weeks ago and by solving some puzzles that a friend of mine wrote to me I
was able to improve my chess visualization of the board, chess calculation and
this kind of stuff. I think that making this a systematic study would help a
lot.

Thanks.

On 11/11/2015 10:42, Mark R Hague wrote:
Apologies if you get multiple copies of this email, Mark.
Hi visually impaired chess lovers,
has anyone with no sight had any luck with using the Mentor, Lessons and
Tactics Trainers on chess.com? The initial hurdle is that it doesn't seem
possible to read the basic chess position diagrams, however it does appear
that one can read the accompanying text. I have just sent a request to
customer services for a link/button to be included on each diagram to
download the Forsyth notation. Perhaps if anyone else uses
the site it would be very helpful if they too could make a similar request.
As who knows if enough blind people do this then they might actually do
something to improve the accessability of their web site. Of course if anyone
has solved this problem or is further along with using these trainers plese
Below I have posted the link to make a feature request. After sending the
request be aware that the web software will try and send you hints on how you
can possibly solve the problem which of course won't be of any help so you
will have to look for the button at the bottom of the page to say that you
really do still want to send the request. In case the below link doesn't work
then try the second link followed by the contact link which should take you
to the correct place to make a feature request.

https://support.chess.com/customer/portal/emails/new

http://support.chess.com/
then contact link

regards,