[usbca_chess] Re: chess visualization vs touching the board

  • From: Lucas Radaelli <lucasradaelli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:19:27 -0200

Folks,

thanks for all the responses. I just wanted to make clear that I am not saying that I want to stop touching the board, but, having the ability to understand relations with only my mind, this would be a huge improvement.

The reazon for posting this was to check whether you had some sort of exercise or thing that I could practice to improve on that area.

Happy to see that this list has a lot of members and only in one week a lot of great discussions appeared.

On 15/11/2015 05:53, Mark R Hague wrote:

Hi Lucas,
I would say that probably over 97% of all blind players check their
understanding of the chess position by exploring the board by touch. It is
true that if you practice without a board that will help your visulaisation
skills. However unless you are a chess genius like Chris Ross you will make
mistakes, as you point out its easy to miss tactics along the diagonals. For
the most of us, the mere mortals, we just need to practice playing chess as
much as possible and try and remember as much as we can especially where are
opponents pieces are placed less we forget that a Bishop is parked somewhere
waiting to snaffle an incorrrectly placed piece. I have to admit that if I'm
playing a blind person who isn't using a board I will try and catch them out
on the diagonals or over complicate the position so they miss something and
make a mistake. I think its true if you understand the relationship between
chess pieces and who is controling key squares that will help you with your
visulisation skills. As you've only returned to playing chess for a couple
of weeks I would recommend that you try and stick to fundamental chess
principles and I'm positive after you've been playing for a year or so
you'll make great improvements as you develop an instinct of what a good
move is even if you can't calculate the position to the nth degree.
Have patience and learn from your mistakes its more important to analyse the
games you loose than the ones you win.
Best wishes,
Mark.