[usbca_chess] Skype Coaching Games - 25 October 2015, Sicilian Defence, Nimzowitsch Closed Variation, B29

  • From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "US BCA" <usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 02:00:56 -0000

Skype coaching session, 25 October 2015.

The following 3 games were examined, the games 13 moves, 15 moves and 22 moves
are given with annotations and then again without annotations.

Note: The recording of this session is incomplete. Unfortunately the conclusion
of game 2 and all of game 3 are not available.

Paul Benson.

* * *

Annotated game 1.

White: S. Vratonjic.
Black: S. Zelenika.
Event: Yugoslavia 1975.
Result: 1-0 in 13 moves.
Opening: Sicilian Defence, Nimzowitsch Closed Variation, B30.

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Nc3 Nf6

| A transposition into the Nimzowitsch Closed Variation. Also playable for
black are, 3. ... d6, 3. ... e6, or, 3. ... g6. ||

4. e5

| White chooses a line which might gain space for a few moves. The black king's
knight is displaced from fighting over the e4 and d5 squares into fighting
solely for the e5 square. Instead, 4. d4, transposing back into mainlines is
fine for white. There is also, 4. Bb5, to be investigated. ||

4. ... Ng4

| Doubly attacking the white advanced e5 pawn. The discussion now is whether
the e5 pawn has claimed central space or has become over-extended. The debate
should be settled in the middlegame but there are always exceptions. ||

5. Qe2

| The only move to save the e5 pawn. Take some time here, black can further
increase the pressure on e5, but does it create complications in favour of
white or black? ||

5. ... Qc7

| Going for it. As will be seen later in Game 3, challenging with, 5. ... d6,
is a more solid alternative. White to play has 2 ways to attempt to break the
black grip on the e5 pawn. Take some time here. ||

6. Nd5

| Gaining a tempo against the black queen. This will be shown to be important
over the next few moves. The same idea can arise from, 6. Nb5, with a different
set of complications to follow as the white knight on b5 influences different
squares. ||

6. ... Qb8

| Keeping pressure on the white e5 pawn, which from here appears to be
surrounded and therefore potentially lost. Better start thinking hard about
what white should do here. ||

7. d4

| This is a potential pawn sacrifice designed to free the white c1 bishop which
can develop and protect the e5 pawn. ||

7. ... e6

| (Long comment containing 4 games).
Instead, 7. ... cxd4 8. Bf4 e6 9. h3, offers mixed results, 2 white wins and 2
black wins as follows:

(A). 9. ... exd5 10. hxg4 Bb4+ 11. Nd2 O-O 12. O-O-O Re8 13. Nf3 d6 14. Qd3 g6
15. Ng5 Bxg4
16. Nxh7 dxe5 17. Bg5 e4 18. Nf6+ Kf8 19. Rh8+ Kg7 20. Rh7+ Kf8
21. Nxg4 f5 22. Bh6+, 1-0 in J. Bauma (2258) - J Janacek (2150), Czechia 2001.

(B). 9. ... Nh6 10. Bxh6 exd5 11. Bf4 Bb4+ 12. Bd2 Be7 13. O-O-O O-O 14. Bf4 d6
15. exd6 Bxd6
16. Bxd6 Qxd6 17. Nxd4 Be6 18. Kb1 Rfe8 19. Qd2 Rac8 20. Bb5 a6
21. Ba4 Nxd4 22. Bxe8 Nxc2 23. Ba4 Nb4 24. Rc1 Nc6 25. Rhd1 h6
26. g4 b5 27. Bb3 Rd8 28. Qc3 Rc8 29. Qc5 Qe5 30. Qe3 Qd6
31. Qc5 Qe5 32. Re1 Qf6 33. Qb6 Ne7 34. Rxc8+ Nxc8 35. Qc5 Nb6
36. f4 Nc4 37. Bxc4 dxc4 38. f5 Bd7 39. a3 Bc6 40. Ka2 a5
41. Rd1 Be8 42. Qc7, 1-0 in D. Georgiev - V. Spasov, Bulgarian Ch 1988.

(C). 9. ... Nb4 10. Nxb4 Bxb4+ 11. Kd1 Nf6 12. Bd2 Bxd2 13. Qxd2 Nd5 14. Qxd4
b5 15. Bd3 f6
16. Qh4 a6 17. Re1 Bb7 18. Qh5+ Kf8 19. Qh4 Qd8 20. Qd4 Qb6
21. Qh4 Qd8 22. Qd4 Rc8 23. exf6 Qxf6 24. Ne5 Ke7 25. c3 d6
26. Nf3 Nf4 27. Be4 Qxd4+ 28. Nxd4 Bxe4 29. Rxe4 e5 30. Kd2 Kf6
31. Ne2 g5 32. g3 Nxh3 33. Rh1 Kf5 34. Ke3 g4 35. Rd1 Rhd8
36. Rd5 h5 37. a4 Ke6 38. Rd1 d5 39. Rb4 Rf8 40. axb5 Nxf2
41. Ra1 Rf3+ 42. Kd2 axb5 43. Ra6+ Kf5 44. Rxb5 Ne4+ 45. Ke1 Rd8
46. Rbb6 Re3 47. Rh6 Nxg3 48. Kf2 Rxe2+ 49. Kxg3 Re3+ 50. Kf2 Rh3
51. b4 Rc8, 0-1 in D. Frolov (2340) - A. Skvortsov (2335), Arkhangelsk 1996.

(D). 9. ... Nb4 10. hxg4 Nxd5 11. Bd2 d6 12. exd6 Qxd6 13. Nxd4 Bd7 14. O-O-O
Qb6 15. c3 O-O-O
16. Nf3 f6 17. g5 e5 18. gxf6 gxf6 19. g3 Bc5 20. Bh6 Nxc3
21. bxc3 Ba3+ 22. Kd2 Ba4+ 23. Nd4 Bxd1 24. Bh3+ Kb8 25. Qxd1 exd4
26. c4 Qb4+, 0-1 in S. Zigangirova (2314) - N. Umudova (2176), Turin 2006. ||

8. h3

| Setting off some complications, the black g4 knight is now a desperado. ||

8. ... Ngxe5

| With each player having a knight attacked there could be possibilities of, 8.
... Nxf2 9. Kxf2 exd5 10. Bf4, to be calculated. These seem favourable to
white. If black had tried, 8. ... Nh6, offering white a chance to wreck the
kingside pawn formation with, 9. Bxh6 gxh6, then, 10. Nf6+, must be good for
white. ||

9. Nxe5 Nxe5

| White to play and complicate. ||

10. Bf4

| Pinning the black e5 knight. Of course, there was nothing wrong with, 10.
dxe5. The development of the c1 bishop to f4 creates some tricks which black
must find and attempt to neutralise. ||

10. ... d6

| Instead regaining material immediately with, 10. ... exd5, runs straight
into, 11. Bxe5, and black loses much material to the threats of a discovered
check up the e-file when the e5 bishop moves. If, 11. d6 12 Bxd6+, and then,
13. Bxb8, white wins. ||

11. dxe5 exd5

| Instead, 11. ... dxe5 12. Bxe5, attacks the black queen which can be blocked
with, 12. ... Bd6, but then 13. Bxd6 Qxd6 14. Nc3, and white is a piece up. ||

12. exd6+

| The e-file is opened with a discovered check which creates powerful tactical
opportunities for white. ||

12. ... Kd8

| If, 12. ... Be6, then white wins the black queen with, 13. d7+, an attack
from the white f4 bishop has been revealed. Check those checks. Instead if the
black king flees with, 12. ... Kd7 13. Qb5+, gives black 2 choices. If, 13. ...
Kd8 14. Qxc5, black is almost paralysed as well as being a pawn down. Or if,
13. ... Ke6 14. Qe8+ Kf5 15. Qe5+ Kg6 16. Qg5+ mate is nice. In the game it is
now white to play and surprise black. ||

13. d7

| Black to play and not surprise white. ||

Black resigns, 1-0

| The pawn advance is a triple purpose move. It attacks the black c8 bishop, it
reveals an attack from the white f4 bishop onto the black b8 queen, and it
supports the entry of the white queen on the e8 square. Not bad, eh? Black has
no answer to all 3 threats. If, 13. ... Bxd7 14. Bxb8, white wins. Or if, 13.
... Qxf4 14. Qe8+, is the strongest move when, 14. ... Kc7 15. d8=Q+ Kb8 16.
Qxc8+ mate ends matters. Note how white resisted from capturing the black c8
bishop with the d7 pawn, instead preferring to invade with the queen to support
the d7 pawn promotion. ||

* * *

## Annotated game 2.

White: C. Landenbergue, 2213.
Black: S. Jakob, 2249.
Event: Switzerland 2001.
Result: 1-0 in 15 moves.
Opening: Sicilian Defence, Nimzowitsch Closed Variation, B30.

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6

| The change in move order of development of the black knights alters the ECO
to B30. It is the next black move which turns the game into a Nimzowitsch
Closed Variation. ||

3. Nc3 Nf6
4. e5 Ng4
5. Qe2 Qc7
6. Nd5 Qd8

| Mysterious? Black rationalises that 2 queen tempi can be cancelled out when
black plays, pawn e6, to push back the white d5 knight. Well, that is the
theory. White to play and fight for the initiative. ||

7. d4

| The d-pawn is offered to accelerate development, in particular white wishes
to have the c1 bishop on the f4 square to make the e5 pawn a strong point. ||

7. ... cxd4

| This is opening up the f8 - a3 diagonal, black is not really attempting to
win and hold onto a pawn. ||

8. Bf4 e6

| Ouch! The centrally located white knight has no safe flight squares.
Furthermore, the previous white move, Bf4, took away the only retreat option.
How can white avoid losing a piece? ||

9. h3

| Threat is met with counter-threat. Fine, but if black simply moves the knight
then yet again the white e5 knight is without a safe move, isn't it? ||

9. ... exd5

| Instead, 9. ... Nh6 10. Bxh6, and the f4 square becomes free for the white d5
knight. Black would then have to choose whether to have doubled h-pawns or
tripled d-pawns. Perhaps the value of, 6. ... Qd8, instead of the previously
well-explored, 6. ... Qb8, is now being questioned. Black has spent 2 moves to
have the queen back at home while the white knight stood firm when attacked,
this means white has saved a tempo. ||

10. hxg4

| Ah, a semi-open h-file. This makes kingside castling for black rather
dangerous. So, just where is the black king to find safety? Castling queenside
would involve a plan of, pawn b6, Bb7, and, Qe7. Black would create
difficulties by trying to develop the c8 bishop by first advancing, pawn d6, as
white will have, exd6+, due to the queen on e2. Perhaps the retreat, 6. ...
Qb8, is to be preferred? ||

10. ... Bb4+

| An annoying development tempo against white who was just about to castle
queenside and proceed to work on the various black d-pawns. ||

11. Kd1 a6
12. Ng5

| Simple and effective. The black h7 pawn is the target. ||

12. ... d3

| Difficult positions can affect the way a player thinks. The book Chess For
Tigers by Simon Webb recommends diagnosing a difficult position early and
trying to do something about it. This usually involves some random element to
try and catch the opponent off guard. Black seems to be following this idea.
The principle is good, but here it is tactically flawed. It is now only up to
white to refute what could be regarded as desperation. ||

13. Qxd3 Nxe5

| This is the random element black hopes will save matters. In strategic terms
any sensible method which eliminates the cramping white e5 pawn is worthy of
consideration. However, here white already has a lead in development while
black is engaging in tactics. It would be a very unusual position when such
strategy works. ||

14. Qd4

| White does not comply. Clearly, 14. Bxe5 Qxg5, would take some of the
pressure off black. Instead, 14. Qxd5 Qe7 15. Qxe5 Qxe5 16. Bxe5 f6 17. Nxh7
fxe5 18. Nf6+ gxf6 19. Rxh8+, white is an exchange up and will eventually win.
The game move is designed to shorten the struggle. The white queen on d4
attacks both the black b4 bishop and e5 knight. Black must have a good answer
in mind or it is virtually over. ||

14. ... f6

| Apparently there was not a good answer here for black. This suggests the
random element beginning with, 12. ... d3, had no real substance. It only needs
white to avoid carelessness and black will be lost. ||

15. Nxh7
Black resigns, 1-0

| Black cannot defend against all the white threats. If, 15. ... Nc6 16. Qxg7
Ke7, the black queen protects the h8 rook but, 17. Qf6+ Ke8 18. Qxh8+, is an
easy white win. Or if, 15. ... g5 16. Bxe5, will suffice. After, 16. ... fxe5
17. Qxe5+ Kf7 18. Qxd5+, and the black king and unprotected b4 bishop are a
problem. If now, 18. ... Kg7 19. Qd4+, and the black king cannot find a safe
square from which it can keep an attack on the white h7 knight. For instance,
19. ... Kg8 20. Bc4+ d5 21. Bxd5+ Be6 22. Bxe6+, is mate. Or if, 19. ... Kg6
20. Bd3+ Kf7 21. Qxb4, white is a piece up and winning. ||

* * *

## Annotated game 3.

White: A. Stambulian, 2402.
Black: A. Goloshchapov, 2526.
Event: Chigorin Memorial 2000.
Result: 0-1 in 22 moves.
Opening: Sicilian Defence, Nimzowitsch Closed Variation, B30.

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6

| The change in move order of development of the black knights alters the ECO
to B30. It is the next black move which turns the game into a Nimzowitsch
Closed Variation. ||

3. Nc3 Nf6
4. e5 Ng4
5. Qe2 d6

| The advanced white e5 pawn is now challenged in a different manner. ||

6. exd6

| Everyone seems to make this capture. The only way to defend the e5 pawn is,
6. d4 cxd4 7. Bf4, when white has given up a pawn for a development tempo, no
one seems to like this idea and is probably why it remains untested. ||

6. ... e6

| Now white will not have any fun up the e-file. ||

7. Ne4

| The alternative is, 6. Qc4, when black can choose between, 6. ... Nf6, or, 6.
... e5. ||

7. ... Bxd6
8. Qc4

| A double purpose move. The double attack on the black c5 pawn should be
obvious. It also sets up an x-ray attack through the e4 knight. The idea is,
Nxd6+, and capturing the undefended black g4 knight, black has a simple answer.

8. ... Nf6
9. d3

| The black c5 pawn is just waiting to be captured. White could also consider
the plan, pawn g3, Bg2, O-O, which would mean the battle will take place in the
centre / queenside. ||

9. ... O-O
10. Bg5

| The c5 pawn? Generally speaking, if this bishop develops here then either be
prepared to exchange it off or expect the opponent to seek a means of removing
it. ||

10. ... Be7
11. Bxf6

| Ahem! The c5 pawn? White is prepared to give up the dark square bishop to
remove the best black minor piece available to defend the kingside. ||

11. ... Bxf6

| Now black has an unchallengeable dark square bishop pointing into the white
queenside. ||

12. O-O-O

| Black to play must find a plan of development. Take some time here, a good
principle is either about to be revealed or broken. ||

12. ... e5

| Puzzling. Having just received the gift of a bishop on the long dark square
diagonal, black chooses to block it. Why? So the c8 bishop can be developed is
the first thought. However, it is deeper than this. Blac anticipates the loss
of the c5 pawn and has devised a means of getting a pawn back if white is to
complete development with prospects of kingside activity. These Grand Masters
know a bit about chess. ||

13. Nxc5

| At last. White has been deliberately resisting this. There were no immediate
refutations to making this capture on previous moves. White was simply not
wishing to find out how much play black might generate in return. So, why
capture now? White needed to break the clamp on the d4 square. Now we can
settle down to discover if a traditional Sicilian strategy, i.e. play up the
semi-open c-file, will yield fruit for black. ||

13. ... Qc7
14. d4

| White needs to get the f1 bishop into play so the d3 square must be vacated,
even if it costs a pawn. ||

14. ... exd4
15. Ne4 Be7
16. Bd3 Be6

| Some positions are favourable to knights while some favour bishops. The white
knights are ready to advance, if they could, while the black bishops are quite
happy to skulk just where they are. Excluding the black d4 pawn, the centre is
devoid of pawns, such an open game is reputed to favour bishops. Only one way
to find out. White must be careful on the next move. ||

17. Qa4

| White might have tried, 17. Qb5, intending to swing the queen over to the
kingside with, Qh5, next move. Black would be advised not to let the queen take
an aggressive posting and so simply, 17. ... g6, stops this. The black g-pawn
would provide white with a point of attack, perhaps advancing the h2 pawn to
open lines, but this is rather slow, and without the queen to assist, is not
going to lead anywhere. ||

17. ... Rac8

| Every now and again Grand Master confuses Grand Rabbit. Surely the f8 rook
should be sent over to the queenside? Perhaps black is keeping options of
advancing the f-pawn, kick the white knight out of the e4 square, and lift the
f8 rook to the f6 square from where it can swing queenside. ||

18. Kb1

| The preparation is complete. Black to play and get the attack started. ||

18. ... Nb4

| Hitting the white a2 pawn. It also Places a triple attack on the c2 pawn, but
surely this is triply defended? Yes, but defenders can be removed or deflected.
Just watch what happens. ||

19. a3

| Attempting to limit the power of the black e6 bishop with, 19. b3, creates a
different set of problems. Simply,
19. ... Bd7, and the white queen has severe problems. Clearly, 20. Bb5 Bxb5 21.
Qxb5 Qxc2+ 22. Ka1 Qxa2+ mate, is not going to happen. So after, 19. b3 Bd7,
white must also avoid, 20. Qxa7 Nxd3 21. cxd3 Qc2+ 22. Ka1 Ra8, and the only
way to avoid mate is to lose a rook with, 23. Rc1 Qxc1+ 24. Rxc1 Rxa7.
This means after, 19. b3 Bd7, white must play, 20. Qa3, but now, 20. ... Nxd3,
the white queen is attacked from the black e7 bishop, black is winning at least
a rook here. ||

19. ... Nxd3

| The black knight removes one of the three defenders of the c2 pawn. ||

20. cxd3

| Unfortunately capturing with, 20. Rxd3, allows black a trick to win material
which will be explained after the next black move. Black has a strong move
here, take some time now. ||

20. ... b5

| This vigorous pawn offer has been available to black for a few moves. Timing
of such sacrifices is important. The white queen is defending the c2 square.
Should she be deflected from the a4 square then black will be able to invade
with, Qc2+. At the moment there is a white pawn on the d3 square. Imagine that
pawn back on c2 and the white d1 rook sitting on the d3 square. This is how it
would be had white recaptured, 20. Rxd3. Play could have continued, 20. ... b5
21. Qxb5 Qxc2+ 22 Ka1, and the weakness of the white back rank would have been
revealed with, 22. ... Qc1+ 23. Rxc1 Rxc1+ mate. ||
21. Qxb5

| The white queen must keep guard of the b3 square. If, 21. Qa6 Qc2+ 22. Ka1
Qb3, and the only way to prevent mate on the a2 square is to give up the queen
with, 23. Qxe6, a hopeless cause. Instead, 23. Kb1 Qa2+ is mate, black controls
the c-file with the c8 rook. It seems the black Sicilian c-file strategy can
yield fruit. ||

21. ... Qc2+
22. Ka1

| Black to play needs to find a means to land the queen on the b3 square. Take
some time here. ||

22. ... a6
White resigns, 0-1

| Yet again the white queen is being deflected. If, 22. Qxa6 Qb3, and the only
way to prevent mate on a2 is to give up the queen with, 23. Qxe6. White can
stay on the b-file to prevent black from playing, Qb3, with, 23. Qb6, but black
for the third time deflects the white queen with, 23. ... Rc6 24. Qb7. Why the
need for this deflection? The black queen is in need of both the a4 and a5
squares. Black can now continue with, 24. ... Bxa3, when, 25. bxa3 Qa2+ mate,
will not happen. White must over-protect the b2 pawn with, 25. Rb1, but now
comes the point of the deflections. Black plays, 25. ... Qa4, with threats of a
discovered checkmate. White can postpone matters with, 26. b3, but the black
queen has the a5 square available and, 26. ... Qa5, leaves white with no
defences. If then, 27. b4 Bxb4+ 28. Kb2 Qa2+ mate ends matters. Instead, 27.
Rb2 Bxb2+ 28. Kxb2 Qc3+ 29. Kb1 Qc2+ 30. Ka1 Bxb3, and white can only give up
material to postpone the inevitable for a move or so. ||

* * *

## Unannotated game 1.

White: S. Vratonjic.
Black: S. Zelenika.
Event: Yugoslavia 1975.
Result: 1-0 in 13 moves.
Opening: Sicilian Defence, Nimzowitsch Closed Variation, B30.

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Nc3 Nf6
4. e5 Ng4
5. Qe2 Qc7
6. Nd5 Qb8
7. d4 e6
8. h3 Ngxe5
9. Nxe5 Nxe5
10. Bf4 d6
11. dxe5 exd5
12. exd6+ Kd8
13. d7
Black resigns, 1-0

* * *

## Unannotated game 2.

White: C. Landenbergue, 2213.
Black: S. Jakob, 2249.
Event: Switzerland 2001.
Result: 1-0 in 15 moves.
Opening: Sicilian Defence, Nimzowitsch Closed Variation, B30.

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Nc3 Nf6
4. e5 Ng4
5. Qe2 Qc7
6. Nd5 Qd8
7. d4 cxd4
8. Bf4 e6
9. h3 exd5
10. hxg4 Bb4+
11. Kd1 a6
12. Ng5 d3
13. Qxd3 Nxe5
14. Qd4 f6
15. Nxh7
Black resigns, 1-0

* * *

## Unannotated game 3.

White: A. Stambulian, 2402.
Black: A. Goloshchapov, 2526.
Event: Chigorin Memorial 2000.
Result: 0-1 in 22 moves.
Opening: Sicilian Defence, Nimzowitsch Closed Variation, B30.

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Nc3 Nf6
4. e5 Ng4