[usbca_chess] Possibly the hardest chess puzzle I've ever seen!

  • From: "Mark R Hague" <dmarc-noreply-outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mark.hague.mobile" for DMARC)
  • To: <skype-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:21:13 -0000

Hi folks,
below I've posted one of the hardest puzzles I've ever seen originally posted
by Mike Allan who sadly passed away a few years ago. As its such a tough puzzle
to crack I'll give you a big clue, That is that there is something rather
mechanical/clockwork about the solution to the puzzle!
Best wishes,
Mark.
----------- extract from Mike's email---------
Chess Puzzle
in algebraic notation.

white: Rh4, Kb4, Qc3, Bb3, Nd3, B e3, Nf3, Pg4, Pb6, Pc7.

Black: Ka8, Pb7, Rf4+.
white to win by checkmating black, in an unspecified number of moves.

right now, black's rook on f4 is checking white's king on b4.

good luck.

---
is active.