[usbca_chess] Newbie myself Was: Re: Re: Dear Friends, I need the USBCA Web Site for a new Blind Chess Player!

  • From: David Csercsics <bleeblat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 21:03:36 -0400

Yes, I am glad I got the correct site. I just looked it up, because I subscribed to the list out of general interest for a while, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I should begin attempting to learn chess. I'd like the puzzle, but all the theory seems a bit overwhelming and I'm not precisely sure where to start. The story is that my friend introduced me to the game years ago, saying that it was one of the only ways he could relax. I have a board and I could likely get some apps for the phone (I have an iPhone) and computer, but I'm not sure on the recommended course of study. I figured out the basic moves and such, but strategy gets complex in a hurry, and as I'm not typically a visual person, I'm not sure how I should approach this. I just thought it might be a good brain crunch, especially since we're stuck indoors for the future, but even when we're returned to normal, the  puzzles and extra problem solving ability would help with other things as well, as I'm generally a  cerebral person. Your request for the website URL prompted me to send this related post as well. I'd been meaning to do that, but hadn't got up the nerve to post newbie questions.