[usbca_chess] New Braille Code for Chess Notation

  • From: Jay Leventhal <jaylev7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:50:10 -0500

Hi Everyone,
As you may know, the new Unified Braille Code (UEB) takes effect in the U.S. in January. It eliminates nine contractions used in the current braille code, and includes other changes in punctuation. I have a draft file from the Braille Authority of North America that illustrates the changes to chess notation in the new braille code. I assume I can't attach the file to this message, since lists usually remove attachments. You need a braille display or braille printer to read the file correctly. If you would like me to e-mail the file to you, do not reply to this message. E-mail me privately at

Jaylev7@xxxxxxxxxxx

and I will send you the file. The British Braille Chess Magazine is already being produced using the new braille code.

Thanks,
Jay