[usa-stegano] Hiding more data...

  • From: Trey Blancher <trey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usa-stegano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:24:35 -0500

Like I told Joe earlier today, I've figured out how to pack more data into our JPEG images. The way this works is by adding duplicate quantization tables into the image. In testing what I did was take one of our modified quantization tables (via the .hidedata() function), and copy it into the output image more than once. I also tested to see if these extra tables could be used to hide more than one bit of information per coefficient (basically, with the duplicated table, I zeroed all of the bits of the coefficient, not just the least significant bit). I hoped that since the extra tables were extraneous we could pack a lot more hidden data into them; unfortunately doing this broke the image. Nonetheless, we can still hide an arbitrary amount of data by adding copies of existing quantization tables until the number is sufficient to hold the hidden data. In testing I was able to add an extra twenty (20) tables without affecting the output image at all.

Of course, if anyone inspects the JPEG closely they will discover that there are more quantization tables than normal, but a casual onlooker will not be able to tell that anything is amiss other than that the file size is larger than it should be.

Oh, and another thing, I got this to compile and run under Linux. That's really not pertinent, I just thought it was neat.

Trey