[UHNA] Graffitti in University Heights

  • From: "Buddy" <kemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <david.pepper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:13:56 -0400

--- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET Message ---------------

Mr. Pepper,
My name is Donna Emerson and last year I visited your office and voiced
concerns about the University Heights area.  Therese Hunolt was also in the
meeting.  We talked about the recent ATM robberies in the area, cars being
broken into along Riddle Road, setting up block watches for the neighborhood
and graffitti just to name a few.

I am happy to say the ATM robberies have subsided and I have not noticed quite
as many cars being vandalized.  There are now blockwatch signs up on Riddle
View and Riddle Crest Lane and at Foulke and Marshall Avenues.The one thing I
have noticed in the area is a high rate of graffitti.  I have called and
emailed the city website stating specific areas on Riddle Road, Marshall Avenue
/ both ends, Coy Field, Probasco Street and McMicken Avenues since January,
2005 and have been told that they are dealing with snow, flooding, only two
person crews for the entire city and can't get to it answers.  I have been told
second hand that they are more or less disbanding the graffitti unit because of
city budget cuts.

David, I pay city taxes and expect to feel safe and secure in my own
neighborhood.  The graffitti to me signifies gang or drug related messages and
activity.  It also degrades the properties in our community.  I belong to CUF
and we also have a group that we have formed called the University Heights
Neighborhood Association.  As a group, we are committed to keeping this
neighborhood a place we call home and want to continue to live here.  I have
been a lifelong resident of this very community and have a vested interest just
like everyone else that lives here.  I would like to continue to reside in
University Heights...............

Perhaps, calling on you today will help to get the ball rolling before more of
my neighbors decide it just isn't worth living in the city anymore.  I am
looking to you today because I know that you care and that you will be looking
for my vote in the coming election for mayor. Please help University Heights!!!

Thanks,

Donna J. Emerson
kemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxx