[uae] sound and host cpu usage

  • From: Don Venhaus <76665.562@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:45:59 -0400

The 8.28 version of e-uae does something that 8.27 didn't do, but most
previous versions did. If sound is on, and cpu_speed is max, then host
cpu usage drops to a very low number, about %10 ( on my athlon 2500). So
everything runs very slow. With sound off, host cpu usage jumps to %100
and it all runs blazing fast.

This is my config

./configure --with-sdl --with-sdl-gfx --with-sdl-sound --disable-action-replay \
        --disable-bsdsoc

also tried with

./configure --with-x --enable-ui

just to see if sdl made a difference. It doesn't.

and the relevant parts of uaerc

floppy_speed=800
sound_output=exact
sound_channels=stereo
sound_bits=16
sound_max_buff=1024
sound_frequency=22050
sound_interpol=crux
joyport0=mouse
joyport1=none
gfx_framerate=3
gfx_width=800
gfx_height=600
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=double
immediate_blits=true
ntsc=true
chipset=aga
collision_level=sprites
fastmem_size=8
bogomem_size=2
chipmem_size=4
cpu_speed=max
cpu_type=68020/68881
cpu_compatible=false
cachesize=8192

I went back to 8.27, just to check, and it runs a flight simulator, with
sound, fine. Very smooth. 8.28 give about one frame a second.

The easiest way to see the effect is to bring up some host cpu monitor ( I
use xosview ), then click sound on and off via the gui. It takes a few
seconds for cpu usage to change.

Has anyone else seen this?

don