[uae] Re: euae-qt

  • From: Ivo Couckuyt <iv0co@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:17:18 +0200

no worries there,

e-uae has several frontends available
it is just a matter of choosing which one you want to use
currently the following gui's are found in e-uae's code, dont know if they all work (some are remains of uae)
- gui-beos
- gui-cocoa
- gui-gtk (current one)
- gui-muirexx
- gui-none
- gui-qt (which i just added)

so yes, e-uae can be built without qt/ gnome, just do a ./configure with the right parameters in fact i like the current design of uae allowing different frontends, it seems that winuae doesn't have that anymore . OOP would be even better, but that's not a task i would be willing to take :-)

Drummond: i'm wondering, are there any plans of integrating winuae and e-uae (keeping winuae advanced features separate of course) ? so uae core changes would be benefetial for both windows and linux. don't know anything about it, so don't shoot me if i'm talking nonsense :)

Andrew 'Truck' Holland wrote:
so on the fly configuration should become easy, still a lot to do of course, for those interested in the communication with the uae core
it is a mix of a fifo pipe and callback gui_* functions,
while winuae has switched from fifo pipes to named pipes

Drummond: perhaps this project can get a place in the e-uae sourceforge repositry ? so it's easier for people to help

Has it been written in such a way that it can easily be built without QT (or
Gnome?)

If not, then I'd prefer it have it's own separate section, just like Hi-Toro is
a separate project.  Hi-Toro, which is a wonderful tool, isn't written for
anything but osX.  QT doesn't exist on MorphOS or AmigaOS, BEos, or osX.  (Ok
it's available for osX but that's just silly, installing QT as a toolkit when
you've got the wonderful system gadgets already.)

So while I applaud your getting it moving, I'd say unless it can be easily
integrated into all systems e-uae supports, keep it separate.  Nothing wrong
with mentioning it in the dox or on the e-uae page, but don't risk accidentally
causing someone to think that this is required for e-uae core functionality.