[uae] Re: e-uae crashes starting on Fedora Linux

  • From: Tron Thomas <tron.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:06:24 -0700

I am not running e-uae on a Macintosh system.

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:39:24 -0700
From: Tron Thomas<tron.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [uae] e-uae crashes starting on Fedora Linux

I am running the 32-bit version of Fedora Linux 12 on an Intel Core 2
Duo system.  I installed e-uae, and when I try to run the emulator a
dialog box appears.  I click on the Memory tab and specify a path to a
Kickstart ROM, and when l click the Start button, the emulator crashes...

What is needed so this emulator will run properly on my system?

Here is the output that results when launching the emulator from a terminal:

E-UAE 0.8.29-WIP4
Build date: Apr 19 2010...

Would I be correct in assuming that you are running Linux and e-uae on a mac? I
am running e-uae 0.8.29-WIP4 on an iMac, also with an Intel Core 2 Duo system,
2.4 GHz, but under MacOS 10.6.4. If you are running on a Mac I am wondering why
you wish to run under Linux instead of under the MacOS with the Hi-Toro
configuration gui?

I have it running very fine here, but I think the problem is with installing
OS3.9. I don't know for certain why, but I was never successful with installing
OS3.9 under any of my amiga 3000 machines, nor was I able to successfully
install and run OS 3.9 under e-uae without manually custom installing it.

I don't know for certain what is the problem with OS3.9, but I can tell you the
'040 libraries on my OS3.9 cd always cause the OS3.9 startup reboot to fail,
both on my legacy amiga 3000 with A3640 and under e-uae. What I did for e-uae
was create a custom rom that has all the updates so that no reboot is needed!
(And on my a3000 I have the Kickflash rom). Building a custom rom is not for
the faint of heart and non-technically inclined, though :-) I can also say
there is at least something wrong with e-uae's 68040 emulation in that
Pagestream 4.1.5.6 locks up with the intellifonts, but has not problem with the
68020 + fpu cpu. I also have it running on a PAL 8-color workbench with ECS; on
the mac PAL works much better than NTSC and for some reason seems to match the
mac hardware, but don't ask me to explain why that should be because I don't
know.

My suggestion is to use the 68020+fpu configuration, and configure it without a
graphics card emulation (until you get up and running). By using the 68020 you
will also avoid the problem with the 68040 libraries. Once you have it working
under that configuration, then go ahead and experiment with the '040 cpu and
P96 graphics if you wish. I can also tell that Thomas Richter's cpu libraries
are better than those that came with OS3.9.

Ernest Unrau
Morden, Manitoba
CANADA