[uae] audio problem

  • From: Michael Rees <mrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:52:57 -0400

Sorry to post first with a problem, but I'm grasping at straws trying to
solve a perplexing problem. I've been lurking in the archives until now, and
haven't seen any hint of a similar problem.

I'm running euae 0.8.27 on a quicksilver G4 @ 867mHz, 896M, os 10.3.8 with
the 2005-03 update, and an emi2|6 usb audio interface. Whenever I play an
audio file from a preview column or a get info or inspector window, the file
plays back ~10dB too hot (judging from the meters on my mixer).
Consequently, it is not a pleasant experience. If I play back a file from an
application, the levels are correct. Changing the emi2|6 configuration or
switching to internal audio doesn't make any difference. I've trashed prefs,
reinstalled drivers, etc. etc. etc. To make it even more interesting, this
happens only in my account. Playback is fine from any other account on my
machine!?

I have exhausted all other possibilities, so I'm wondering if euae or sdl
poke at the Mac audio in some way that might have caused this. I've wandered
through the euae source at some length and not found anything suspicious,
but haven't looked at the sdl code. The problem started at about the time I
installed euae, so I suppose it has to be suspect at least coincidentally.
As I said, I'm grasping at straws at this point to try to avoid an archive &
install, which is about the only thing I've yet to try.

(By way of introduction, I've been an Ami user since the A1000 was
introduced way back in the dark ages. My primary use these days is
generating MIDI in Bars&Pipes because I invested considerable time writing
tools for it to facilitate my perverse compositional habits. I still have
two functional B2000s, but uae takes up considerably less studio space.
Thank you, Mssr Drummond for making it work so well under OSX at last!)

m.
--
Michael Rees
Composer &c.  <http://soundsgrate.net>