[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: Jonathan Heaney <jonathan.heaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:43:57 +0000

> "Integration" is just a meaningless buzzword to me.  What does the UI
> (in UAE-0.8.27, not E-UAE) lack?
> Well, I have completely stopped using original UAE as soon as I have
> downloaded first E-UAE version, so I cannot really tell what the
> latest (not E-)UAE GUI lacks. And if it is still based on long
> obsolete GTK+ 1.x, that means it would be as easy to get it working on
> my system, as running SiagOffice on it... By integration I mean KDE
> look and feel, with KDE usability rules conformance, ability to use
> KIOSlaves as regular filesystems, KDE session persistency support,
> etc. I don't want to write all the details, this list would be really
> long :)
Aye, and All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit.

I use E-UAE on KDE4 here and it adopts the look and feel of a KDE app
(well, the only things I can tell by this is that the config window
adopts my KDE theme).  There are a number of methods for tuning GTK apps
to have a KDE theme, and it has nothing to do with the actual application.

The rest I couldn't care about.  KIOSlaves as an FS?  Where's the
requirement for that?  Boot (E)-UAE into workbench and fanny aboot, or
fire up an ADF to play a game.  It's an Amiga emulator.  My A1200 can't
use KIOSlaves.  Why should the emulator?  It emulates a brilliant but
old machine, and if it was a case of the devs spending time pfaffing
about with integration for a specific DE on a small (but significant)
OS, or spending time improving the actual emulation of the original
machine, I know where I'd rather time was spent.

I still run e-uae from a konsole command line.  I'm perfectly happy with
whatever version of UAE accurately emulating an Amiga, and not
masquerading as a modern integrated application into an obscure desktop
environment (albeit one that I've been using for ages).  It is what it
is.  Live with it.

/me rant mode off

Jonathan