[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: "Roman S." <romanujan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:42:35 +0100

Bernd Schmidt wrote:

> Same question for all these points.  Yeah, you can come up with a big
> wishlist, but do you actually _need_ any of this stuff?

Need? I do not _need_ UAE at all! I am just having fun launching (E-/Win)UAE
from time to time, installing some OS 3.9 updates from Aminet, showing AWeb
and Amplifier to some shocked ex-Amiga 500 users, playing Lotus II or some
other game for a while. Those features would just made UAE a little more fun
to me - that's all, I can't really imagine what useful things I could do
with UAE, that I cannot do with available open-source software. OK, maybe
someone could use it to read his old data, stored in closed, Amiga software
specific, file formats. But, honestly, how many people have good reasons
(not just nostalgic ones) to use UAE (any version) to do anything really
productive?

 As for some remaining comments:

> "Integration" is just a meaningless buzzword to me.  What does the UI
> (in UAE-0.8.27, not E-UAE) lack?

Well, I have completely stopped using original UAE as soon as I have
downloaded first E-UAE version, so I cannot really tell what the latest (not
E-)UAE GUI lacks. And if it is still based on long obsolete GTK+ 1.x, that
means it would be as easy to get it working on my system, as running
SiagOffice on it... By integration I mean KDE look and feel, with KDE
usability rules conformance, ability to use KIOSlaves as regular
filesystems, KDE session persistency support, etc. I don't want to write all
the details, this list would be really long :)

> > - dynamic size hardfile support (latest beta of WinUAE has this feature)
>
> What does that mean, exactly?  I don't suppose AmigaOS supports online
> resizing of filesystems?

There are disk image formats that store only non-empty sectors - empty
sectors does not occupy space on a host OS disk.

> > - uaenet.device, like in WinUAE (didn't have time yet to try this,
however)

> That's the bsdsocket library, isn't it?

Definitely not :) It's a network interface, that needs guest-os bsdsocket
library and TCP/IP stack. This is something more low-level.

Regards,