[uae] Re: Using Experimental UAE on a IBM ThinkPad T23

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:33:54 +0200

Richard Drummond schrieb:

Hi Martin

On Friday 09 July 2004 02:02 pm, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

Again I get a segmentation fault.

Are you running KDE (and thus the aRts sound server)? If, yes. Then that's what is causing the problem. SDL causes seg faults when using aRts.

Try disabling or killing aRts.

Hello,

okay, this works. Thanks for the hint.

And so I also found out why Frozen-Bubble didnt work here. Strange, on my other machine frozen-bubble definately works with audio and I am quite sure I didnt disable the aRts sound server there. Maybe thats a bug in libsdl or aRTs introduced recently.

Well I rather have sound in KDE than in UAE and Frozen-Bubble and thus I installed the libsdl oss plugin instead of the libsdl arts plugin. Now neither UAE nor Frozen-Bubble crash anymore even with with aRts running. But they also have no sound unless I kill aRts manually before.

When I disabled aRts in KDE and re-enabled it again later I found that sound output again works, but system sound messages were still not played again. I found no apparent reason for that. I had to remove my .kde directory and start from scratch to have full sound support including system messages again.

Well manually disabling aRts doesnt last long, KDE reloads it after the next system sound message. Maybe a script killing it every second helps ;-((

Its a mess with the different sound server in Linux. Gnome again uses something different and so on.

Well maybe I try whether it works better with ALSA. Right now with OSS sound output goes broken after a suspend or standby operation which works reasonably well with Linux on the ThinkPad.

Regards,
Martin