[uae] Using Experimental UAE on a IBM ThinkPad T23

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:02:52 +0200

Hello,

yesterday I bought a nice used IBM ThinkPad T23.

I already put Debian Linux and SuSE Linux to it using Debian Sarge as my main system.

Now I also want to put your UAE port, Richard, to use.

For that I copied the UAE setup from another computer where I used Debian Linux. That's a tower machine with Athlon XP 1600+

I installed the uae 0.8.23 (2004-01-25) debian packages via the repository on www.rcdrummond.net. I also got the binary package of UAE 0.8.25 (2004-03-02). I tried compiling the source package for UAE 0.8.25, but it didnt work. There was a development dependency that I could not resolve directly within Debian Sarge by installing a binary package. I had not much time so I tried the binary UAE package then.

Now when I start the uae 0.8.23 version as user "martin" I get:

Found x11pc raw keyboard mapping
Using cooked keymap
Opening cfgfile: /home/martin/.uaerc...okay.
unknown config entry: 'floppy0sound=0'
unknown config entry: 'floppy1sound=0'
unknown config entry: 'floppy2sound=0'
unknown config entry: 'floppy3sound=0'
unknown config entry: 'floppy_volume=33'
unknown config entry: 'sound_volume=0'
unknown config entry: 'gfx_display=0'
unknown config entry: 'state_replay=no'
Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 732.33 BogoMIPS
Testing system sleep function.
Average duration of a 1ms sleep: 20 ms
Enabling busy-waiting for sub-10ms sleeps
Speicherzugriffsfehler

"Speicherzugriffsfehler" means "segmentation fault".

When I use the uae 0.8.25 I get:

martin@deepdance:~/Amiga/UAE/uae-0.8.25-20040302$ ./uae
Found 0 joysticks
Found x11pc raw keyboard mapping
Using cooked keymap
Opening cfgfile: /home/martin/.uaerc...okay.
Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 730,56 BogoMIPS
Testing system sleep function.
Average duration of a 1ms sleep: 20 ms
Enabling busy-waiting for sub-10ms sleeps
Speicherzugriffsfehler

Again I get a segmentation fault.

Now when I use uae 0.8.23 as root user it brings up its gui and works, but without sound:

Found x11pc raw keyboard mapping
Using cooked keymap
Opening cfgfile: /root/.uaerc...failed.
Opening cfgfile: .uaerc...failed.
Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 731.65 BogoMIPS
Testing system sleep function.
Average duration of a 1ms sleep: 20 ms
Enabling busy-waiting for sub-10ms sleeps
Couldn't open audio: No available audio device
Sound driver unavailable: Sound output disabled
Found x11pc raw keyboard mapping
Using cooked keymap

Now it says I there is no sound device, but there definately is one. Its an Intel i810 and its currently accessed via OSS driver. I am using the Arts sound server from KDE and thus I installed libsdl1.2debian-arts, Version: 1.2.7-6. I am using SDL from the package libsdl1.2debian, Version: 1.2.7-6. Well I thought about installing ALSA and let Arts use ALSA instead. Could this help?

With this UAE actually boots into the AmigaForever 6.0 setup I copied to my home directory. There are quite some other problems tough making it quite unusable right now. I write about them in other e-mails.

Now when I try to use UAE 0.8.25 as  root I get this:

deepdance:/home/martin/Amiga/UAE/uae-0.8.25-20040302# ./uae
Found 0 joysticks
Found x11pc raw keyboard mapping
Using cooked keymap
Opening cfgfile: /root/.uaerc...failed.
Opening cfgfile: .uaerc...failed.
Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 732,25 BogoMIPS
Testing system sleep function.
Average duration of a 1ms sleep: 20 ms
Enabling busy-waiting for sub-10ms sleeps
Couldn't open audio: No available audio device
Sound driver unavailable: Sound output disabled
Found 0 joysticks
Found x11pc raw keyboard mapping
Using cooked keymap

After this last message UAE hangs completely. Ctrl-C does not work. It doesn't consume any CPU time tough.

Ideally I like to get UAE 0.8.25 to run correctly with the user "martin". Any hints? Should I have a go at compiling it myself again?

Regards,
Martin