[uae] Re: ToDo list

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:17:54 -0500

Hi Jens

On Friday 12 March 2004 06:41 pm, Jens wrote:
> Also a good thing, but does it supports nonSCSI devices?? I don't know
> about many people with real SCSI devices in their macs.

There's not really any such thing as a non-SCSI CD-ROM drive. ATAPI is really
just SCSI transported over an ATA (IDE) bus. So, yes. It'll work (should
work) with SCSI, ATAPI, parallel port, USB and Firewire drives. What it won't
do currently on Mac OS X is work with non-writeable drives - 'cos the OS X
kernel won't let you send SCSI commands to such devices.

In theory, the SCSI support should work with OS X as is, but there are
problems scanning for devices (as you and others have reported). I'm trying
to source a SCSI writer for my Mac because it doesn't seem to want to work
with ATAPI devices. They work fine under Linux with this machine, but OS X
can't seem them for some reason. I think this may be due to crap drivers for
my ATA card in OS X.

> Does anyone use hardfiles greater than 2 GB? I know, the AOA 3.9
> supports greater sizes, but in my own amiga, I haven't partitions with
> these sizes.

People do. ;-)

> > 7) OpenGL rendering
> YES YES YES!!! The gfx output is very slow in some configs. My posted
> config options (below in the mailing list) runs in a great speed, but
> it shows ugly.

I don't know if the dfference will be great in full-screen mode, but it'll
certainly make windowed mode a lot faster in OS X.

>The biggest problem is, that I can't
> change floppies in the running emulation without "UAE-Control" from the
> Workbench. I've no idea how to communicate with running tasks from
> Applescript, and I don't know the commands to change the floppies.

Never used Applescript, so I don't know much about it. It's based on
Hypercard/Metatalk isn't it? I don't know how an application exports an
interface to Applescript. Worth finding out about . . .

> If you want, I send you the pre-release of my frontends. The complete
> solution will released if the last big thing (Config creator) is
> finished.

That would be interesting to see.

> > 1) Port the JIT engine to PPC. This  is in progress, but still a long
> > way off.
> A very very very very ... needed thing in this emulator ;o). Speed is
> the best!!

Don't hold your breath. ;-)

> > 2) PowerUp/WarpUp emulation on PPC hosts.
> This is your best idea in this project ;o). But is here really needed a
> JIT? ShapeShifter or FUSION (for Amiga) had tunneled the 68k CPU (as
> much I know). Is this not possible for the PPC CPU?

It won't require the JIT, but it will use the JIT's memory allocator (or at
least a modified version of it). This basic idea would be for the
PowerUp/WarpUp emulation to create PowerUp/WarpUp tasks as native tasks on
the host. The easiest way this could work would be if these tasks could share
the same address space as the UAE virtual machine - i.e. a direct, flat
address space like the JIT uses - but with no offset. That is, the
PowerUp/WarpUp tasks would access memory at the same addresses as they would
on a real Amiga.

> My Desires are heared!! ;o) What a Mac do you own??

A PowerMac 9500. Long in the tooth, but not a bad machine. It's been beefed up
with a 333 MHz G3 card, an ATA/66 controller, a Rage128 and a whack of RAM.
It runs Linux well, but OS X is dog slow. To build the OS X version of UAE, I
access the box from a remote shell (it's way faster than the OS X terminal
emulation).

I do have some even cruddier Macs. The Internet gateway, file/print server,
etc for my home network is a StarMax 3000 running Linux. I stuck in a G3
card, whipped out all the fans, and it's totally silent (and still barely
gets warm).  And I have an all-in-one 5500, which my daughter now uses. OS 9
might be rubbish as a real operating system, but it's great for
3-year-old. ;-)

> Floppy sound?? ;o)

That would require support for sound mixing. Once AHI support is done, doing
this should be easy.

> Me too. Unfortunately, we do not yet have the equipment to do that.
> However, we are hoping to put MacOnLinux/OSX in an AmigaONE machine and
> compile it using that.
>
> As soon as we can afford a copy of OSX to do this, we will release a
> port of the library asap.

I thought they might say something like that. ;-)