[uae] Re: State of the nation... or something

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:21:55 -0500

Hi Giulio

On Saturday 01 January 2005 09:58 am, Giulio Canevari wrote:
> Is the filesystem= entry completely replaced by filesystem2?

I should add something about that.

The filesystem2= option replaces the filesystem= option. You include both
option to specify the same drive, but the filesystem= option must come after
the corresponding filesystem2= option. E.g.:

filesystem2=rw,DH0:System:../shared/dir/System,1
filesystem=rw,System:../shared/dir/System

> There is no mention about hardfile config. Recently i have downloaded an
> hdf containing a prepackaged wb setup ( called classicwb, it's in 7zip
> format but you can uncompress it wine+7zip ) and i have had troubles
> setting parameters.

Still need to add that.

> After some time ( and after a try with winuae+wine to obtain 32,1,2,512
> ) i have discovered that it works with:
>
> hardfile2=rw,:/home/giulio/Documenti/Emulatori/ClassicWB/System.HDF,32,1,2,
>512,0,
> hardfile=rw,32,1,2,512,/home/giulio/Documenti/Emulatori/ClassicWB/System.HD
>
> Is there an easier way to obtains these datas?

Good question. It may be possible to obtain geometry for a filesystem
automatically (e.g. the Linux affs driver does this). The trick seems to be
locating the root block of the filesystem (which in FFS is located somewhere
in the middle of the filesystem).

I do plan to make a stand-alone shell tool called makedisk or something, which
can generate a blank hard-file to use with E-UAE. I also want to add
something similar to the Gtk+ GUI.

> A typo found : virutal , in hard disk options

Thanks.

> Also it would be interesting to write how to create an empty adf (
> if=/dev/zero of=ProjectX-savedisk.adf count=1760 for dd one, 3520 for hd
> one )

Good point.

> Also if you find something interesting in it you can insert what you
> want from my little quickstart (
> http://giuliogiuseppecarlo.interfree.it/uae/index.html ) or insert it
> all in the archive.

Thanks for that.