[uae] Speed on OS X (was Re: Re: Source code snapshot)

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:52:34 -0500

Hi Fred

On Thursday 16 September 2004 11:05 am, Fred Itschner wrote:
> > What system are you running it on (CPU, OS X version, SDL version)?
>
> CPU = 667 MHz, OS X 10.3.5, SDL version 1.2.7

Hmmm. Don't know what the problem is here. With a recent version of E-UAE and
SDL 1.2.7 this is probably as fast as it gets currently on OS X.

Think yourself lucky you haven't got a PowerMac 9500 with a 350 MHz G3 and
god-awful memory bandwidth like me. ;-)

What in particular do you find to be slow? Is this slower than previous
versions or just slow generally?

In my experience, my version of UAE does have performance problems on OS X. It
is notably slower on OS X than on Linux on the same hardware. Part of the
problem may be due to Quartz's rendering model - but part is definitely due
to the crap code that Apple's builds of GCC produce (if you're bored and you
have the facilities, compile the CPU emulation on PPC Linux or any other PPC
OS with a recent version of GCC and compare that to the code that you get on
OS X with Apple's GCC 3.3.). This may have improved with recent releases of
the developer kit (I've got 10.2 here - can anybody running 10.3 comment
whether code generation has improved? I really must scrape the cash together
to upgrade one of these days.)

Having said that, the recent test version I uploaded should be markedly faster
than earlier versions. CPU performance should be around 5-10% better, and the
P96 emulation can be two or three times faster for some operations.

Other Mac users - any comments on performance? Nico says it's fast. Fred says
it's slow. Can we have a deciding vote? ;-)