[uae] Re: Source code snapshot

  • From: Derek Piper <dcpiper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:37:51 -0500

Hi Rich,

Thanks about pointing out the newer version, I probably should have tried CVS first (btw, how do I generate 'configure' from the CVS tree so I can compile it and try to see if it's been fixed before I whine? :))
Anyway, E-UAE 0.8.27. Downloaded, configured the same as UAE-0.8.25, i.e. with

--prefix=/usr/local/uae/
--with-sdl-gfx
--with-caps
--with-caps-prefix=/usr/local/uae/support/ipfdevlib_linux/

NOTE: I still had to change src/caps/caps.c according to Mauricio's helpful hint on the fact UAE is looking for libcapsimage.so.1 and it's libcapsimage.so.2 on the newer CAPS libraries.

        I get this upon build (either parallel or not):

floppyfileentry.c: In function `floppyfileentry_init':
floppyfileentry.c:71: parse error before `*'
floppyfileentry.c:72: `ledbox' undeclared (first use in this function)
floppyfileentry.c:72: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
floppyfileentry.c:72: for each function it appears in.)
make[3]: *** [floppyfileentry.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uae/e-uae-0.8.27-CVS/src/gui-gtk'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uae/e-uae-0.8.27-CVS/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/uae/e-uae-0.8.27-CVS/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

The line appears to be related to GTK stuff - is UAE now GTK 2 only? I'm on Debian Woody and I only have GTK 1.x.

Configure reported:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.0.0... yes

So I assumed (I know, bad to assume) that GTK 1.x was still acceptable since configure didn't barf. Let me know if I'm on the wrong track with it. If it is my lack of GTK 2 .. any hints for a compiling it on a Debian Woody platform?

Oh, and the 'E' in 'E-UAE'? 'Enhanced'?, 'Evolved'?, 'Exciting'?, please not 'Extreme' .. seems *everything* is extreme something or other these days. :)

        Thanks,

        Derek

Richard Drummond wrote:
Hi All

As I said in an earlier mail, I'm trying to get this project to a releasable state. As a step towards that, I've uploaded a current source code snapshot to:

http://rcdrummond.net/uae/test/e-uae-0.8.27-CVS.tar.bz2

BTW. I'm now calling this E-UAE - since many others already are and to avoid confusion. Answers on a postcard for the best meaning for that 'E'. :-)

Those of you that are able to compile from source, please test this and check that there are no major problems.

There are a couple of things still to add for OS X users: there's no configure support for building Steven's Cocoa GUI yet (Objective C support and all the rest is there, so, for now, just edit src/Makefile to point to src/gui-cocoa rather than src/gui-none after configuring), and I haven't merged my hacked sdl-config script for building against the SDL framework (rather than the Fink's SDL.) Both to do - very soon.

Those of you who have sent me patches that aren't in this one yet - sorry. I have to draw the line somewhere. It's been months since the last full release, and I really do need to get a new one out.

This source tree has been tested here on Linux/x86, AmigaOS (68k and OS4/PPC) and OS X. I haven't tested yet on Linux/PPC (due to hard disk failure) or BeOS/x86 (due to catastrophic hardware failure.). (So, Axel, if you're still listening, does it work?) Feedback from those of you with platforms I don't currently have - *BSD, Solaris, IRIX, plain Darwin (rather than OS X), etc. - I would definitely love some feedback. I do plan to get my Linux/PPC and BeOS systems up and running again as soon as possible to test there, (And I would like to support some other Unix flavours. I've had a brief flirtation with NetBSD and Solaris, but both have proved to be too much hard work due just to get the buggers installed. This from a committed Debian user for 6 years. I'll have another go when I have more time.)

There are no significant changes in the configure recipe. However (Derek), parallel builds should work a little better, although they still won't scale well. -j4 works okay here. -j8 probably won't work depending on the direction of the wind.

There's a new README file, too - which may or may not be helpful. I'll see if I can flesh this out a bit, time permitting. I really do need to sit down and write some proper documentation one of these days.

Let me know how you get on.