[uae] Re: Snapshot 20060711

  • From: Giancarlo Erra <giancarloerra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:30:17 +0200

Hi Rich,

just tested the osx binary (g4 1ghz, osx 10.3.9) and it seems to me there's a great performance improvement, even not fullscreen (usually much slower) and with a bunch of other applications running.

I'll test more indepth and let you know.

Giancarlo

I should probably explain the reasoning behind this. I don't think it makes much sense to the end user to specify the audio buffer length as a size in bytes. It's hard to understand, and, if you specify it in bytes, then the resulting performance is dependent on the other audio settings - the frequency, the number of channels, the resolution. This makes it difficult to provide sensible defaults that perform equally well independent of the audio platform.

The default - 100 ms should provide acceptable results without too much CPU
usage. You should reduce this if you notice a lag between the event which
should produce a sound effect and hearing the sound effect. Decreasing the
latency will increase the CPU usage. Increasing the latency will reduce the
CPU usage.

--

... Without music, life would be a mistake. (Nietzsche)