[uae] Re: SCSI support on OS X

  • From: Jens <der_nexus@xxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:02:54 +0100

Am 20.03.2004 um 20:12 schrieb Richard Drummond:

Hi Jens

On Saturday 20 March 2004 03:37 am, Jens wrote:
Yes, like the "ASPI SCSI driver" Option in WinUAE. We must find a way
to set these variable and eject a inserted disc automatically before
UAE starts.

I imagine a config settings such as

unix.scsi_device=<string>

that I meant ;o). "<string>" <-- This is a good way for me to implement this option in my following "UAE Config Creator" (You would have the pre-release from me).

would do the job. This would also let Linux people tell UAE to access devices
via the new 2.6 ATA Packet Interface stuff, etc.

I'm not sure about the disk ejecting bit. I suppose it's possible. Although if
you can't get a handle on the device because Finder won't share, it might not
be. I'll have to investigate . . .

I look at this time in all unix commands in OS X to find out the command that lets eject a disk. ;o)

BTW, the OS X version of XCDRoast solves the problem by killing the automount
daemon.

From:
http://www.xcdroast.org/xcdr098/xcdrosX.html

Quote:

Finder grabs all CDs.

The finder tends to automount all CDs you insert. Then they are lost from
being accessable from within X-CD-Roast. Currently the only known solution is
to stop the "diskarbitrationd" daemon. (You may remember that in MacOS 10.2
(Jaguar) a simular daemon was called "autodiskmount".)

This version supports the automatic handling of the daemon. You just choose
the option to disable the daemon at startup and X-CD-Roast will handle that
for you.

Here is the procedure if you want to know what X-CD-Roast is doing:

X-CD-Roast stops the daemon like this:

ps -ax |fgrep diskarbitrationd

(The first number in that output is the pid)

sudo kill -STOP <pid>

After you are done with X-CD-Roast it is started again:
sudo kill -CONT <pid>
Note: While the autodiskmount daemon is stopped you might not be able to eject
media with the keyboard. Just use the eject feature from X-CD-Roast.

I also noticed that the system may become unstable when this daemon is not
running. Please don't run anything important while X-CD-Roast is open! I am
working on finding a more stable solution.

I know this problem. I had it recently. baaaaaad error ;o). But I think the problem was with X-CD-Roast and not with the System.

End quote.

Anybody out there with more knowledge of OS X than me (that'll probably be
most of you ;-) care to comment on what they think is a better solution?

I do not point as one its know about the system estimates I know
neither yours know, nor point I whether I over it point very much. (<-- I translated this with "Sherlock". Don't know if you understand this string :oD)

greets Jens