[uae] Re: Performance of E-UAE

  • From: Lasse <Lasse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:26:41 +0200

Hi Mark

You should probably first of all try out the 0.8.28-RC2 release..
Second, I find the Arte demo to run more smoothly if the Emulation Speed is set to Adjustable instead of Maximum.

- Lasse

Mark Round wrote:
Hi all,

I have just started using the e-uae emulator on my Powerbook 1.3Ghz,
Mac OS 10.4.2, 768Mb RAM, and would appreciate some input. I'm
attempting to relive my youth by running my collection of old demos
(UK scene rules!) but am having some issues.

The emulator runs fine, but I am seeing the same issues I had when
running WinUAE. That is, the emulation seems to be very good and
"correct", but it's not fast enough to view the demos comfortably. For
instance, if I watch the classic Arte by Sanity, it starts off in
synch, with the music playing fine and the graphics running
flawlessly. Then, about half-way through the opening "tunnel"
sequence, it judders and jerks a bit. A little later, and certain
effects seem to force the whole emulator to slow down, the sounds
becomes jerky and the whole thing gets knocked out of synch.

The thing Is, I used to run an emulator called "fellow" under DOS on a
variety of older pentium boxes much slower than my 1.33Ghz Powerbook
(200Mhz-600Mhz), and while this wasn't as correct as UAE, the demos
usually ran at full speed with no slow down or jerkiness. Is this just
an issue with UAE, or is there something I can do to improve
performance ? I have read about many people enjoying classic demos and
running them with success under UAE, so suspect that it's just some
magic configuration issue that I'm overlooking somehow. I have
attached my default.uaerc for reference; I am running it in
full-screen mode as I read that this was faster, and I am also using
the SDL build of e-uae 0.8.27 that does not require a X server.

Anyone have any tips or tricks, or sample configurations that may help
? Or am I being unrealistic with my requirements and the specs of my
laptop ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mark