[uae] Re: OpenGL?

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 22:12:27 -0400

Hi Daniel

On Friday 05 May 2006 19:07, Daniel Pimley wrote:
> A native audio / video implementation is by far the most important
> improvement that could be made to E-UAE on OS X, but I'm also aware
> that sadly it's also the most difficult improvement. But I never stop
> hoping!

Neither should be difficult. I just haven't had the time yet. I keep getting
distracted with other problems. ;-)

> I don't really understand the OpenGL discussion.

The principle advantage of using OpenGL for rendering on OS X is that it fits
in better with how the Quartz compositor works, so should allow better
performance in windowed mode.

Basically, E-UAE will render to a software buffer as usual, this gets uploaded
to the video card as a texture and blitted to the screen using 3D hardware.

As a side-effect you get OpenGL scaling/filtering basically for free - which
is nice.

> E-UAE will use
> OpenGL rendering but still require SDL for output.

It could use SDL or not. SDL just provides a way to get your hands an OpenGL
context.