[uae] Re: OffTopic: Interest in other Amiga Emulators?

  • From: Andrew 'Truck' Holland <truck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:50:41 +0300

On Sa, 15 Sep 2007, Jochen Becher wrote:

> I did some tests using QEmu (and some other PPC emulators). I believe
> QEmu would be the best choice but this should be evaluated more. I only
> tried to run the boot manager of AmigaOS 4 but AmigaONE uses hardware
> that is not supported by QEmu out-of-the-box. But the changes should be
> not that large and difficult to implement. QEmue has a nice architecture
> that allows to introduce new hardware emulation easily.

Which leads to the big question with this, and the entire OS4 issue in general:
Is this even legal?  The mess with Amiga Inc. and Hyperion is still in the air,
it looks for all intents and purposes to be yet another Amiga Inc. disaster
based on mismanagement of assets, and so forth.

I, myself, have MorphOS, as I've mentioned a few times on the list here, and it
runs E-uae, so I'm happy.  And yes I'd like to see it run on other platforms,
but the makers do NOT, therefore, I'm not attempting to do such.  Sure, some
folks want to see it run on Mac hardware, etc etc etc - it's all a question of
intent and what is legal and what you do in your spare time and whether that
violates your conscience and someone else's rights in such a way that it's not
a problem - or that if it is, you stop.

All in all, I'd say this topic is one that would be interesting but NOT on this
list.  It's more of a separate project for people who don't mind the
implications - after all, you might be asked to stop at any point by someone,
and that someone may have the ability to stop you - or may simply be bluffing.