[uae] Re: OT: Beryl

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:36:48 -0400

Hi Martin

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 04:17, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Its as easy as adding some lines to /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get install
> some meta package and making sure that Xorg is properly configured. I had
> it up an running in less than 30 minutes I think.

Actually I have Beryl working now. Still no dice with compiz 0.3.6.

> Its not overly stable yet and has a lot rough edges, thus I only use it to
> present it to others ;-). But some effects are definately way cool. For
> example that rotating cube when you add transparency and a dome picture
> to it. ;) Or windows that beam out of the way ("Scotty beam me up").

Definitely rough edges. :-)

It doesn't seem to insert any wedge between an OpenGL application and the
screen. Thus OpenGL output is not composited. Drag an OpenGL window and the
window content stays where it is, while the window frame moves. You can't
occlude an OpenGL window with another window, either (you can occlude the
window frame, but the window content still stays on top).

E-UAE's OpenGL renderer works surprisingly well, despite the above problems. I
see no significant slow down here. I haven't been able to reproduce Jason's
problem yet, either.

Richard Drummond

Web:  http://www.rcdrummond.net/
Mail: mailto:evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx