[uae] OS X filenames (Re: Re: UAE doesnt seem to filter illegal filenames with colon in it)

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:42:57 -0500

On Monday 12 July 2004 08:58 am, Richard Drummond wrote:
>If anybody can point
> me towards some documentation that can prove or disprove this theory, I'd
> be grateful.

I'll answer myself here. I just did another search and came up with:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/SystemOverview/FileSystem/chapter_8_section_6.html

Now that's the first helpful documentation I've come across relative to this
problem. ;-)

Okay. I think I now how to solve this now. I was wrong before. The OS X libc
does support UTF-8 (and HFS+ actually uses UTF-16 internally). So if the UAE
virtual filesystem handler does the ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 translation, then I
think this should work.