[uae] Re: How to avoid tearing with E-UAE?

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:24:56 -0500

Hi Fari

On Monday 07 November 2005 03:11, fari mueller wrote:
> I'm using X-Windows to run E-UAE fullscreen (SDL) on an arcade monitor. I
> calculated a modeline with a vertical frequency of 50Hz which suits well to
> the repeat frequency of a PAL Amiga. But nevertheless there're tearing
> effects when I'm playing scrolling games. For me it means that the emulated
> amiga and the monitor do not share the same Vsync. As far as I know SDL is
> not supporting Vsync operations, so I tried to recompile E-UAE for DGA use,
> but when I'm then switching to fullscreen my screen freezes and I have to
> kill and restart my X-server to regain control. DGA should work in
> principle since I am using it with XMAME. What can I do to get rid of the
> tearing, is the use of DGA the right way? How can I determine what goes
> wrong with my DGA attempts? Any help is appreciated.

You're correct that SDL doesn't support syncing with the monitor refresh.

It should be possible to do this in X, though. It's something I've been to
add, but not had the time yet.

As to the problem with DGA, are you running E-UAE as root or SUID root? You
need to, to be able to use DGA.

Is DGA enabled in your server? Do

xdpyinfo | grep DGA

to find out. If not check in your X config file. I believe there are some
issues with DGA in recent X servers, especially if you have the composite
extension enabled, so there may be an entry something like:

           SubSection "extmod"
              Option  "omit XFree86-DGA"
           EndSubSection

If you have the composite extension enable, try disabling it.

Even if you have working DGA support in E-UAE, it won't currently stop
tearing. E-UAE doesn't support syncing with the monitor's refresh rate at all
at the moment.