[uae] Re: How is the Mac OS X binary built?

  • From: "Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill" <byron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:19:42 -0400

Okay, I traced the problem to uae_sem_init() which is #defined as
sem_init().  It returns -1, and perror("") gives "Function not
implemented".  I'm guessing that this means that Mac OS X doesn't
include sem_init().  While the headers are there, it isn't in the
documentation and 'strings /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib  | grep sem_'
didn't produce any results.  Quite frankly, I don't see how it
would link.  Anyhow, more error checking would demystify that type
of error.  :-)

Any suggestions for how to fix it?

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:46:15PM -0500, Richard Drummond wrote:
> Here's an idea. Trying adding the line
> #undef UAE_FILESYS_THREADS

That works, with the forementioned loss in functionality.

> The bsdsocket emulation and the SCSI emulation both use threads, too.

I'm tackling this one problem at a time.  I suppose semaphores will
be a problem there too?

> The major bottlenecks are the CPU emulation and the chipset
> emulation (including the rendering of the native display). Which
> of these two is the most significant depends on what kind of software
> you are running in the emulation.

Seeming as I'm loading Workbench 2.04 and am having performance
issues, I doubt that video is the problem.

> By 'redraws' you mean general screen update speed? This will
> affect the speed of UAE.

With SDL, yes.  With X, it may be slow but it is not noticably
slow.  I haven't the slightest idea how video is implemented, so
I don't know how much of a performance hit it represents.

Byron.