[uae] Re: Graphic Modes with WinUAE

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 04:06:01 -0500

Hi

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 02:54 am, yvan_amiga@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm not sure if WinUAE questions are also allowed here but I try :)

You can certainly ask, but I can't always guarantee to give the right answer.
I don't use Windows myself. ;-)

> I'm using WinUAE 0.8.27 on a PC with NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Graphic card.
> The Kickstart Image is from an A1200 (the new one that came with WB 3.1).
>
> Is it possible to use better graphic modes than AGA? Can WinUAE emulate in
> some way graphic cards (f.e. Picasso or whatever) or use the graphic
> capabilities of the PC graphic card?

It sure can. UAE has had the ability to emulate a graphics card - accessible
via Picasso96 - for some time.

To enable this, you need to allocate some gfx card memory in your UAE
configuration. There'll be an option to do this in the WinUAE GUI somewhere -
but I don't know precisely where. It'll be called graphics memory or
Picasso96 memory or similar. Alternatively, you can edit your config file
with a text editor and set the 'gfxcard_size=x' option (the 'x' here is the
amount of memory in MB to assign to the gfx card). Also, you'll need software
support for your emulated gfx card. That is, you'll actually need to install
Picasso96 on your emulated Amiga.  You can get this from
http://www.picasso96.cogito.de/download/Picasso96/Picasso96.lha. The P96
archive has an install script and will automatically detect that you are
running on UAE and install the correct driver. It's all fairly
straightforward really. One final point: you must emulate a full 68020 CPU
(with 32-bit address space) in UAE to be able to emulate a gfx card and thus
use Picasso96.

Hope that helped. ;-)