[uae] $(FILE_PATH)

  • From: Daniel Pimley <uae@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:27:21 +0100

Any plans to change default path handling as discussed a while ago? If it's not changing I'll add support for it in Hi-Toro but this method really is a dog to implement nicely in a graphical environment.

Regards,
Daniel Pimley

On 31 Mar 2006, at 22:00, Richard Drummond wrote:

Hi Daniel

On Friday 31 March 2006 13:23, Daniel Pimley wrote:
My fault, didn't notice that in configuration.txt. But that is a very
strange behaviour, I assumed that specifying a default path would
simply add it to the list of paths that UAE checks for floppies /
ROMs / hardfiles, much the same way that configs are handled i.e.
check local directory, check home directory, then check for any other
user-specified file. Why not do it like that?

I assume it was not done like this because it's ambiguous. Say you have the
same disk file 'floppy.adf' in both the current directory and in the default
floppy directory, which should you load?

For example with kickstart_rom_file, at first UAE can test the path
assuming that it is a full path, then if that fails UAE can test to
see if the path is relative (i.e. does it become a valid path with $
(FILE_PATH) prefixed) and if that fails then finally UAE can check to
see if the path is valid relative to the local directory.

BTW, if it's a full (absolute) path, then it'll start with a '/' (or it has a
':' in it, on AmigaOS hosts). Any other path can assumed to be relative.

Should you check the current directory or the default directory first for a
match, though? Any thoughts, anybody?

Does anybody have any objections to changing the behaviour along this lines?