[uae] Re: E-UAE for Intel Macs

  • From: Dennis Smith <dennis48066@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 24 Apr 2006 22:57:36 -0500

Hello Richard,

On 04/23/2006, you wrote:
> Hi Dennis

> On Sunday 23 April 2006 19:24, Dennis Smith wrote:
>>   I don't think there has been a JIT for Euae per se.

> E-UAE does have a JIT for x86 systems. It works on Linux/Unix, BeOS and
> AROS  at the moment. I see no reason why it would not also work on OS
> X/x86.
>>   JIT in OS4
>> kind of refers to Petunia! This was presented in OS4 update#4.
>> Richard?

> Nope. E-UAE cannot use Petunia on OS4.0. Petunia would need to provide an
> API  where it could compile and launch code in E-UAE's virtual address
> space and  provide some means of giving control back to E-UAE
> periodically (not just  running a function until it hits an RTS).

Doh! OK, the OS4 UBoot Configuration Menu shows 4 selections:
1) Default (JIT)
2) DebugJIT
3) NoJIT
4) Debug NoJit

So running in 1) default, Petunia is translating 68K code to PPC and
has no interaction with Euae in anyway? Is that approximately close?

>> I recently tested the IconBeFast patch in Euae on my OS39 SFS
>> and I noticed the 256 color icon speed up; 800x600 32bit uaegfx.
>> Nice :)

> IconBeFast patch? What's that?

> Cheers,
> Rich

Here's a shortened  Description:

Short:        patch for faster icons & color mapping, 1.13
Uploader:     pkeunecke@xxxxxxxx (Peter Keunecke)
Author:       pkeunecke@xxxxxxxx (Peter Keunecke)
Type:         util/boot
Version:      1.13
Requires:     68020+ and Kickstart V39+
Architecture: m68k-amigaos >= 3.0.0

....>8....
 ===========
IconBeFast is a small patch for the OptainBestPenA() function.
It will speed up the drawing of 32 - 256 color New-/GlowIcons.
The idea to do this by improving OptainBestPenA() comes from
Bernd Roesch, the author of the AfA_OS project. Thanks Bernd!
This patch works independent from AfA_OS and runs standalone.

The loading of 256 color icons can be 4 times faster or more.
You need at least a Workbench with 32 colors to get a profit.
Since v1.10, IconBeFast has an improved color mapping now and
should give much better results when displaying dithered pics.
Both, v1.03 and v1.13 are working with a 128/256 kB distance
table in memory to avoid many time consuming calculations.
Usually, these versions are about 25% faster than v1.10, but
the speed depends very much on the type of CPU....>8......

I've noticed a speedup when opening Work: directory in 800x600x32
gfxuae screenmode. Didn't measure it, put it's enough to visually detect.

I tried it with AmiKit, however I didn't notice much change. The A1 doesn't
have the 'horsepower' to play with this kitty. I have a friend that tried it
with WinUAE 1.0 on a HP.computer. God, it flies when you have JIT and
a P4 cpu.

Regards, Dennis