[uae] Re: E-UAE - Debian fullscreen troubles

  • From: Andrew 'Truck' Holland <truck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:31:02 +0300

On Di, 08 Jul 2008, Arnljot Arntsen wrote:

> > Surely you can, by going back and forth to windowed mode via F12+s ?  (or
> > F11+s, I forget anymore; osX is one thing, I have a build for morphos that
> > doesn't use the function keys...)
> >

> It's F12+s. And no, that's my whole problem. When I F12+s on Ubuntu it tries
> to switch. And almost makes it.
> It is fullscreen for a full second or so. But then it goes back to windowed
> mode. And then I won't have mouse access until I press F12+s again. Then it
> releases the mouse to the window I've been having all the time (except for
> the full second of fullscreen bliss).

This just hit me -  somehow I have a feeling it's going to be Gnome and it's
composite bits. I've seen that mess up several SDL apps.  (Course, I don't know
if the Ubuntu or Debian thing uses SDL or if it is just using openGL
directly...)

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you use a window manager alone, and
not a desktop environment?  I.e. one that doesn't come with extra handlers,
daemons, dbus extensions...

twm perhaps?  (I know it's unattractive but we're attempting minimal. While
it's not considered a 'minimalistic' window manager by some, it would not be
bringing in things like dbus or composite extensions.)

Oh, wait, you can run it without a window manager at all from the 'emergency
xterm' - try that from your login screen, instead of gnome.

> It's almost making me consider swapping back to WinXP as the host OS...

> Ah, yes... But determening F12+s and if it's windowed mode or fullscreen
> surely is the duty of E-UAE? That's why I'm asking :)

Not neccesarily, it is in cooperation with your window manager.  And Gnome
isn't just a window manager, it's pulling in tons of (in my opinion) unneeded
stuff.

Which, I am thinking, is causing the issue -- that is, a composite manager may
be conflicting with fullscreen windows.

---
If that does the trick, try turning off composite extensions and see if that
fixes it; if it still doesn't you may have to strip off more gnome things until
it works.

(The way I'd do it would be dump gnome and use a window manager, and add the
things you want to it, rather than take them away.)