[uae] Re: E-UAE 0.8.29-WIP3 is out

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:44:52 -0400

Hi Giulio

On Friday 04 August 2006 09:03, Giulio Canevari wrote:
> I have compiled it for the first time also on a ppc ( imac g3 233,
> perhaps its called bondi blu or something similar ). On x86 seems to
> work fine.
>
> Compiled ( ~ 44 minutes... ) with alsa and sdl-gfx, distribution debian
> sarge.

Hehe. Now you know how I feel building OS X version. ;-)

> I have tried it for a brief period with Rick Dangerous ( the only game i
> have ready on an hd ).
>
> Works [ and with the config posted it isn't slow ;) , at least with that
> quite static game ] , but after a while [ some screens ] sound repeats
> the last "frame" and then uae hangs ( kill -9 to solve ). It has
> happened 2 times... . How can i obtain more info about the crash? On the
> console there's nothing.

If it's hanging, then it's usually rather difficult to to trace where it's
happening. You could trying running it in gdb and see if gives you anything
useful when kill E-UAE.

I would hazard a bet, however, the problem is the general flakiness of the
ALSA powermac driver. I experience similar problems here.

You could try updating your kernel or using E-UAE's OSS driver instead.

> Another thing, since here there are many mac users: from that 15" crt
> screen i have only been able to obtain 1024x768 and 512x384 resolutions,
> i don't even know horizontal and vertical refresh rate. Does someone
> knows if it is possible to obtain for example a 320x256 or similar
> resolution and what are correct sync values?

Hmmm. I dunno off-hand. I did have a GTF calculator as an Excel spreadsheet
somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out. In the meantime, you could try
building and using this:
http://sh.nu/nvidia/gtf.c