[uae] Re: Configuring key-mapping

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 03:06:22 -0400

Hi Daniel

On Friday 14 July 2006 02:37, Daniel Pimley wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong: in effect we're still stuck with
> TBFH, Numpad 8246, or cursors, but we can re-map these key events to
> different physical keys.

No. If you select an inputdevice configuration other than config 0, then the
existing default joystick emulation key layouts no longer apply.

You have to add your own key-map option to emulate joystick input with the
keyboard like the example I provided.

> What we're doing is like prising the keys
> off the keyboard and rearranging them. My concern is what happens to
> the B key if I re-map it's event to the G key? I'm assuming B is now
> a dead key. Likewise if I reassign TBFH to WSAD then the TBFH keys
> would all be dead, unless I reciprocally re-map WSAD to TBFH but that
> would be mind bending!

If you select an input config other config 0, then you have complete control
over which input event is generated by which key. If you don't change
anything, however, then the default mapping applies. Press 'a', you get an
a', etc. As I said, the default joystick emulation options no longer work. You
can select joyport1=kbd3, for example, but it will have no effect. The 't'
kill will produce a 't' input event, unless you manually assign another event
to the key.

Obviously if you you re-map a key, say 'W' to produce a joystick up event,
then it cannot also produce a key 'w' event. Each key can be assigned only
one event.

> At the moment I think this can of worms is best left alone, but I
> I'll add support for right ctrl and right shift re-mapping for those
> frustrated laptop users. I know many people would like the option of
> customisable keys in Hi-Toro but I can see it generating a lot of
> technical support requests ;)

Indeed. ;-)