[uae] Bernd, Richard, Toni please don't go away/unsubscribe. We all are counting on all of you.

  • From: Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy@xxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 00:54:46 +0200

Hello,

this is my first post to this ML so hello everybody.
First I would like to thank Bernd, Richard, Toni for their hard work on making
Amiga emulation possible. I'm very scared seeing that Amiga emulation is dying
one by one. First was Fellow then WinFellow, Xfellow dead. When I see uae,
then e-uae and winuae the horror scenario is similar:
xfellow: day of death: 2003-11-14 R.I.P
Winfellow day of death: 06-05-2005 R.I.P
e-uae-0.8.29-20080820.tar.bz2 day of death: 2008-08-20 R.I.P
uae-0.8.29.tar.bz2 day of death: 2008-11-30 R.I.P
winuae 1.6.1: www.winuae.net Service Temporarily Unavailable R.I.P ??? Apache
Server at hosted.back2roots.org Port 80

I abandoned Windows 2 years ago. Can not use Winuae anymore. Linux is gaining
popularity and more and more users are interested in Amiga emulation on Linux.
Maybe you do not see us because we just use your software praising you names.
If the 3 fathers of Amiga emulation will give up there will be nobody who can
continue your work. That is why people count on you. There is no problem for
Linux community to redesign/extend gui, update compilation errors if new
compiler will not understand the code. The serious problem is with emulation
code and hardware quirks. This is black magic for anyone except you. You have
your own wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAE_%28emulator%29
saying to everybody what an almost wonderful work you have done: "UAE is
almost a full featured Amiga emulator. It emulates most of its functions". I
still count on all of you this will not end up as almost done project. I still
believe all of you reach successful finish.

Fellow, winfellow, xfellow, uae, euae are dead. Only winuae seems to be alive
somehow. e-uae when compared to uae is much faster thanks to JIT, winuae keeps
the lead position having more hardware quirks resolved. But winuae has
unacceptable disadvantage: windows design making it unusable on Linux.
I still hope e-uae/uae fathers will continue their journey and Toni will give
'em only the parts of his improvements which makes emulation faster/less buggy
so they do not have to read windows specific code.

I read the previous months dumb discussion having nothing in common with
development which made me very sad. I need to ask you for some things which
are important to me (and others too I think):
1. Please do not unsubscribe (taking toys and going to other place is not good
solution)
2. Toni can you please browse changelog of WinUAE and extract code which
improves emulation and is not Windows specific so it can help uae/e-uae be
better. You are the author of Winuae improvements so you know the best what is
good to be exported to uae/e-uae. A 1-2 lines of comment would be helpful not
only for Bernd, Richard but for anyone who will be trying to bring uae/e-uae
from death. By using http://winmerge.org/ freeware application you can easily
create patch for Linux.
3. Bernd, Richard can you please take what Toni will provide and built it in
uae/e-uae? If the format of patch is not what you like send it to me saying
what you like and I will rewrite/reformat it.
4. I would like to tell everybody that diff command have some useful options:
(I also work in free open source projects and also don't like mess with
tabs/spaces or other non code changing changes) Here is the list of diff
options which hides non code changing characters:
-i               Ignore case differences in file contents.
--ignore-file-name-case         Ignore case when comparing file names (On Linux
convert all files to lower case before using this option).
-E      Ignore changes due to tab expansion.
-b      Ignore changes in the amount of white space.
-w      Ignore all white space.
-B  Ignore changes whose lines are all blank.
5. Toni says he hacks some hardware quirks. Do not be bothered by this method.
Commodore never provided full docs and errata for Amiga libs and hw so some
things can only be fixed by hacks. On Linux where hw manufacturers do not care
we also have to hack to make hardware working. If it just works there is
nothing wrong with hack.

Please bring back to life uae/e-uae. It is packaged to many Linux distros.
People use uae/e-uae. Maybe e-uae a lot more thanks to JIT.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski