[turleymill] Calf Canyon/Hermits Peak Fire

  • From: Steve Hanks <stevehanks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hanks Steve <stevehanks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:01:14 -0600

Hi everyone,
Jane Wardlaw has sent out some information about fire safety, which we greatly appreciate, and I wanted to share this website, which includes several links to information about the status of the Calf Canyon/Hermits Peak fire, and current evacuation guidelines.
https://www.taoscountywildfire.org/hpcc-fire-info
This huge fire is certainly terrifying, but I do not think it is a threat to us.  Our fire danger is very high right now however, and it’s important that we avoid doing anything that might create a fire risk, including any burning or use of chain saws or other equipment that might generate sparks.
I want to also remind everyone that the North Gate exists to provide emergency access in case we need to evacuate to the north because of a fire.  There is a combination lock on that gate, and the combination is 1954.
For those of you who are not here, below is a photo of the Calf Canyon/Hermits Peak fire taken from Turley Mill.  It’s about 35 miles from us.
Steve Hanks

JPEG image