[tugs] Honouring Planet Earth: Edward O. Wilson - Tuesday, March 5th, 2002

  • From: "TUGS" <tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:37:15 -0500

University of Toronto Bookstore Reading Series

Honouring Planet Earth: Edward O. Wilson

Tuesday, March 5th, 2002

Don't miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear from
two-time Pulitzer Prize winning author, E.O Wilson, as he discusses his
new book "The Future of Life".  In this timely and important book E.O.
Wilson, an influential scientist and conservationist, makes an
impassioned plea for quick and decisive action to save the Earth's
biological heritage.

Where: Innis Town Hall- Innis College
          2 Sussex Avenue (enter off St. George)
Time: 7:30 P.M.
Admission: FREE!

For more information call 416-946-7685/416-978-7989 or visit our website
at www.uoftbookstore.com

Edward O. Wilson: "The Future of Life"
Taken from the Knopf Book Catalogue

        From one of the world's most influential scientists (and
two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning author) comes his most timely and
important book yet:  an impassioned call for quick and decisive action
to save Earth's biological heritage, and a plan to achieve it.
        Today, we understand that our world if infinitely richer than
was ever previously known.  Yet it is so ravaged by human activity that
half its species could be gone by the end of the present century.  These
two contrasting truths - unexpected magnificence and underestimated
peril - have become compellingly clear during the past two decades of
research on biological diversity.
        In this dazzlingly intelligent and ultimately hopeful book,
Wilson describes what treasures of the natural world we are about to
lose forever - in many cases animals, insects, and plants we have only
just discovered, and whose potential to nourish us, protect us, and cure
our illnesses if immeasurable - and what we can do right now to save
them.  In the process, he explores the ethical and religious base of the
conservation movement and deflates the myth that environmental policy is
antithetical to economic growth by illustrating how new methods of
conservation can ensure long-term economic well-being.