[tugs] Enviro Industry Seminar - Nov 12

  • From: "TUGS" <tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:41:07 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: EnviroEng at UofT
To: UTERN-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 2:10 PM
Subject: Enviro Industry Seminar - Nov 12

ENVIRONMENTAL INDUSTRY LECTURE SERIES

Join students and faculty of the Division of Environmental Engineering for a
noon-hour lecture featuring guest speakers from engineering firms with
environmental focus.

When: Monday,November 12, 12:00 to 1:00 PM

Where: Sandford Fleming, Rm 1105, (10 King's College Rd)

Speaker: Stephanie Foster, M.A.,Vice-President -Strategic Initiatives and
International Business Development, CH2M HILL Canada Limited

Topic: "Engineering for Sustainability."

Abstract: A fundamental challenge faces the world and all of us who seek to be
leaders in the engineering field - the challenge of achieving sustainable
development. We must find a way to meet the needs of the present without
jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.

Sustainable development has emerged as the dominant economic, environmental and
social issue of the 21st century. In our time, human numbers and the scale and
intensity of human activities have reached the point where we have become the
primary agents of our own evolution. The explosion in knowledge, science and
technology, particularly in the last century, has made us the most successful
of all the species on Earth. They have also set us on a pathway which is not
sustainable and which threatens to make us the victims of our own success.
World population will more than double in the next century and urban areas of
the developing world will feel this increase acutely. By 2000, population in
developing countries will account for 75% of the world's population. Economic
expansion is a necessity, but it must take place in a manner which recognizes
the need to take into account natural resource use and impacts, as well as
social conditions.

Engineers must and can play a critical role in the development of the future.
The role of the engineer is changing from the technical innovator of the
industrial revolution to agent of change in the quest for sustainable
development in the next century.

Sustainable development is about finding new ways to do business. Sustainable
development demands change. It requires doing more with less - less resource
input and less waste generated. It requires new manufacturing processes, more
use of recyclable materials and the development of regenerative or recyclable
output components. Instead of "end of pipe" technologies alone, it requires
pollution prevention. Sustainable development means that we consider life-cycle
consequences of production. It requires an approach that imitates natural or
biological processes and seeks new levels of resource efficiencies in
production. Sustainable development challenges institutions to create new
possibilities for the design of products and the use of natural products.

CH2M HILL Canada is accepting the challenge to move towards more a more
sustainable way of doing business. We believe that sustainability is an
essential component of a competitive strategy for the future. We are working to
help clients to identify and develop opportunities to balance the sometimes
competing needs of the Earth, the community and the bottom line. As we advance
through our development stages to fully embrace the principles of
sustainability, the firm is committed to working proactively with our clients
to provide them with integrated solutions that demonstrate an innovative level
of sustainability. We are also committed to providing our staff with
opportunities for continuous learning, education and training to better
understand the relevance of sustainable development to the environmental
engineering field.

Join us - Everyone is Welcome!

For more information on our upcoming seminars visit the EILS website at:

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~kraemer/eils.html