[tssg-tech] Re: research on Adapters (what, why, when and how)

  • From: Julie Carwellos <jcarwellos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tssg-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:53:48 -0700 (PDT)

Jim, the Android guidelines and SDK components DO "use strategies such as using
 interfaces to hide the implementation of software components  to build
modular, maintainable, reusable software."

I believe we need a strong argument to do things DIFFERENTLY. Why reinvent the
wheel (unless theirs is square)? And so far I can see no clear reason to go
against their recommendations, or invent our own way of doing things. If their
architecture works, why change it? I would have to have a clear explanation of
why their recommendations will not work and how this architecture that has been
set up will solve a problem or enhance performance, maintainability,
extensibility, etc. To me, it appears the current EventBoss architecture adds
unnecessary layers and complexity, which most probably will have an negative
impact on performance and maintenance.

Also, the UI/controller is not supposed to manipulate data - it just makes
calls on the data model to get/change/put/delete information. This would occur
with Adapters, that wrap the data models. The last thing the UI should do is
manipulate a list of events. Adapters are designed to do that.

This in combination with "I want to learn Android, not Java" has my vote
decided.

-julie

Julie (Dingee) Carwellos
Web and IT Project Analyst, User Experience and Interaction Designer
LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdingeecarwellos

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:33:31 -0700
From: jcarwellos@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tssg-tech] research on Adapters (what, why, when and how)
To: tssg-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: kieu.hua@xxxxxxxxx

#yiv1939523886 .yiv1939523886ExternalClass DIV
{}

I'm attaching a Word document that has the results of my research around the
net on Adapters - what are they, why and when to use them, how to implement
them and use multiple adapters. I was surprised (but should not have been) that
they are actually an implementation of the Mediator pattern. They are also
required for AdapterViews (such as ListView and GridView). When you do a
'setAdapter()' on the view to change the adapter, the data in the list is
automatically invalidated, and the list refreshes itself.

The attached contains the details, links and additional information.