[triadtechtalk] Re: Windows Messanger

  • From: Sandy O'Neill <muruagogo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:26:58 +1100

Yes I think Juanita was offended at what I said in my last post....... I didnt mean to offend her, of course, I just meant to say I felt for her ........... doesnt matter ............... of course, she shouldnt have on her PC what she doesnt want, but taking things off correctly should not cause her the problems that she is having ........ I'll butt out now .....
Merry Christmas to everyone and a safe and happy New Year.
Sandy

Bruce Eddy wrote:
Hi Juanita..
A couple things.. Not trying to start an argument here but I beg to differ
with some things....

no where on any of Armando's Google links or on my own searches did I see
the word 'worm' at all for anything??

The dllcc and the dlcccoms stuff is related to your printer. Most likely you
got the printer WITH the PC?? All I saw in my searches were highjackthis
logs.. all mentioning having the same files as you, but not one of the HJT
gurus ( some of which are MVPs) told anyone of them to remove any of the
dllcc files?

The viewpoint thingy is to watch media type things online.. you can
uninstall that thru add/remove programs.. it's not exactly a 'bad guy' per
se'.. but some of the spyware programs will list it as such,, Just like they
do for Weather bug.. It's not a bad guy BAAAAD guy, in the real sense of the
term...

The DSagent could actually be uninstalled.. but that's not really
necessary.. all it does is check with the Dell site for upgrades/updates for
your specific PC... Again, not officially a 'bad' guy..not absolutely
'needed'  either..just turn it off from loading on every boot and run it
manually so if there's an update that dell thinks your system needs, you can
set a restore point, do the update manually and se if your system is better
or worse.. if it's worse, revert back to your restore point....

A couple things you can try.. 1 try renaming those dlcc files to something
easy to change back.. add a 1 to the front or the back of the file then
reboot your system if your printer no longer works, then you can be pretty
positive those are good files..

You don't absolutely HAVE to have your printer load on every boot, but
sometimes you lose some easy functionality if you shut it down.. Don't make
your PC harder to run just because things load automatically? You've got 512
megs of ram! Use it to your advantage. XP is muuuuch better at using ram
than any flavor of 9X that you're used to seeing... There's no need to shut
down anything and everything that's not absolutely essential for fear of
running out of memory..

Everything that auto-loads or everything that tries to connect outside is
NOT a bad guy...run your firewall, your Av your anti spyware stuff.. you
should be fine...

You can lock up your PC so secure that's it's impossible to function or that
everything you do becomes a chore or takes extra steps? Yes you need to be
cautious and careful, but you don't have to be paranoid? Don't let the PC
own you?

Again, I don't mean to cause a problem here, But I personally looked at
Juanita's HJT log before she posted it here. I made my suggestions and I see
no reason to turn off any more than told her then, other than the optional
things I mentioned to her.. again I don't mean to butt in here, but when I
see someone getting almost paranoid, based on something some one else
said... I gotta speak up...

Just my 611 cents,
Bruce

From: "Armando Barreiro"

Don't remove just one - remove them all. Follow their instructions.
Majorgeeks' instructions are
purposedly detailed. Be sure you use AdAware and Spybot S&D fully updated
first.
This will extricate any other junk that will obstruct the removal of the
real nasty
bugs, such as dlccom.

Armando, I really belive dlccom is my all in one printer. I don't know about

the dlcccoms.exe. Do I really need the printer on startup. When I pluged it
in I said no when ask if I wanted it on startup. But it is still there!