[triadtechtalk] System Resources Change

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:38:16 -0500

Howard, Chuck, Victor,
Thanks to each of you for sharing your expertise. I am so glad that I can learn a little each day when I viewing the postings from you and the others, but I learn a lot more when I can actually apply the recommendations directly to the issue at hand on my computer..

Howard, It is sure good to here from you again. I was sure glad you are still there in the background, and not "retired" from the group like I think may have happened to some other prior experts like David Sr., and Joe ("Cuffy").

I made the change to let windows manage the virtual memory, but it did not seem to make much if any difference. But I had only used the computer with the change for a short time so I wasn't sure. And I probably did not do it correctly, since I just changed it and rebooted. (I did not know there was an exact way to make he change until Victor mentioned how to do it).
Also, I had known about shutting down running programs to increase Resources, and that always had recover some capacity, but even if I shut down all of them, I never get back to the 80% level that I start out at.

So when Victor suggested to use the 2.5 factor I wasn't sure what to use to calculate it and consequently what the MBs should be, but when he said he used 150MB for both setting on his Win 98 system and exactly how to do it --that is exactly what I then did.

At the same time I read Chuck's super trick about how to remove the Ads from DownLoad Accelerator I couldn't wait to try it. (Thanks Chuck for taking the time to give me the exact steps to making the change so I wouldn't "goof" things up totally). I sure hate to give up that program since I think it is simply GREAT.( And if I am not mistaken, I think you pointed it out to me originally-In Fact, virtually every program I am running has been at the recommendation of someone from the group!)

These results collectly have certainly been a definite improvement. The movement from one screen to another is like lightening again, even though the System Resources still keep dwindling down to low levels. (For example, I am at 15% right now with 6 windows showing (When I click Alt+Tab), and 27% after I shut down 4 of them; BUT without any sluggishness even at 15% level!).

So unless anyone has any other thoughts I will keep these changes since that is the only minor aggravation the computer is preventing, and it will keep my only computer operating into the foreseeable future.

Thanks to all for the help and assisting in my learning about the whims and peculiarities of the computer.

BRIAN