[triadtechtalk] Re: Still Slow

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:17:24 -0700 (PDT)

Shucks, Richard, what a disappointment! Still Slow, eh?

IMO, should a bad sector have been
found/fixed/marked-as-unusable, may or may not indicate
a potential catastrophic failure of your HDD.

The concensus is that if you don't have a backup you're
tempting fate. If one sector went bad, the rest are
soon to follow, from what I've read. As I previously
mentioned, the disk in your PC is one prone to a lot of
unusually frequent failures. Heck, they were coming out
DOA.

Your PC is not still under warranty, I bet. If it is,
try to get that HDD replaced.

Did I already offer you this link to try, re your slow
PC?:
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/47.htm#linuxtips

and look for the heading "Application Slow-Downs in
Windows XP".

Keep in mind that in Windows, just as there are a
myriad ways of achieving the same task, there are also
just as many opinions on every subject.

Here is a composite of all the suggestions to trouble
shoot your current situation that I've been able to
gather, some I may have already suggested:

SLOW XP BEYOND THE VIRUS-SYWARE STUFF:
Try creating a new windows xp profile... I had a
similar issue and it was fixed by creating a new
profile.(someone offered)
----------------------
Check for updated drivers for your PC.
HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/...
-------------
download and run Startup Control Panel
(http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). This is
equivalent to Windows 98 Msconfig. Uncheck programs
that don't need to startup when Windows starts
-------------
C: WINDOWS on your hard drive and look for PREFETCH
folder GO EDIT / SELECT ALL....then hit delete on your
keyboard...all these files will go to recycle
bin.....empty it..........Prefetch folder just contains
information on programs you use often and sometimes
gets corrupted, no harm in deleting these files they
get replaced over the next week or so.....give it a try.
----------------------------
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp

If you expand the Technical details section, you'll see:

"Technical description:

Microsoft re-issued this bulletin on May 28, 2003 to
advise on the availability of an updated Windows XP
Service Pack 1 patch. This revised patch corrects the
performance issues that some customers experienced with
the original Windows XP Service Pack 1 patch.

Microsoft originally issued this bulletin on April 16,
2003. Subsequent to that date, Microsoft received
reports of performance problems with the patch from
some Windows XP Service Pack 1 customers... "
----------------
Svchost and not Svchosts (the second one has an 's' on
the end!). The first one is OK. The second one is a
Trojan.

If you are running the second one, run a virus scan on
your machines.

It is OK and normal to have more than one process of
Svchost.exe running.
(http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=20609)

Kill one at a time and see if the speed come back. Also
if these are networked to each other, try removing all
network functions on the machine. Uninstall any
programs that have been installed.

Download, install, and run Startup Control Panel by
Mike Lin (ALREADY MENTIONED ABOVE)
(http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). This is like
Msconfig in Windows 98, only better. Here you can
disable programs that load and reside in memory upon
booting. Some you don't see in the Task List and/or in
the Startup Folder.

Have you installed any new programs or hardware or
updated any drivers (other than SP1) about the same
time you noticed it was slowing down?

If you go to Device Manager, is there anything with a
red 'x' or a yellow '!'?

Check out these three links also:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/r1028227650
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/r1043126455
http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14503
---------------------------
if I had to make a guess, I would look very closely at
any USB device you have connected.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp
--------
remove the 811493:Security Update file from your system
and see if the problem disappears.
------
Delete profile & setup new one
Check all settings in that machine's TCP/IP Properties,
Advanced, DNS tab; or remove the user, recreate the
user and copy the old profile settings and data:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151?scid=kb;en-us;177976

These above are all the suggestions one fellow was
offered to try to resolve your exact same trouble,
Richard.

He finaly fixed it! You want to know how? Well, here it
is, in his own words:

"Well, I bought a new hard drive and it is working
perfectly fine now. Thanks for everyone that helped me
out with any suggestion, and that includes:

mike51, milomorai, TKoch, linney, Freestone, micker377,
coakerb, paparazi, iSeriesCodePoet, karlehenry, and
especially bcastner, for posting the most on this
thread and helping me out with the ethics of forum
posting. I have always thanked the people that help me,
but I should pinpoint names specifically for more
deserving credit. Thanks to all again."

Going back to basics, in your case:
1) PC was running fine.
2) Upon adding a particular application, the slow down
emerged.
3) Removing said application did not result in the
desired fix
4) You don't believe in genies and evil spirits or
voodoo doctors.[Oops, wrong forum; wrong list ;)]

My conclusion:
 If I had my druthers, I would change HDD.

But, I'll keep on looking, Richard. There may yet be
some other stone left unturned, eh?

It is possible that the same fix might have been
achieved by this guy by simply reinstalling, fresh, as
he had to do when installing into a new HDD.

That is one option you have yet to try before investing
in the new HDD.

BW,
armando