[triadtechtalk] Re: Portable Program Question

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:46:29 -0500

Armando, Chuck, and Juanita,

I had done a lot of searching before posting and this seems to be the reality as explained by one expert:

    "I have to say that I consider myself an advanced user and it isn't always easy using the suggested monitoring software.
    Unless you really know what you are doing, it isn't always immediately obvious that a program is portable or not.
"

So I was hoping the TTT experts had found a trick to testing a program for portability.

Without doing some complex checking, I concluded there is one thing I could do.
Check the Program file and any ini, xml, dat or some other like file exist it is NOT portable.

In the case of Softonic it is called, "Softonic-Eng7ToolbarHelper", but
Tool Bar Cleaner doesn't list it.
And, it doesn't appear portable because it contains these files:

Juanita, thank for mentioning the Tool Bar Cleaner, it sure can help quickly delete any tool bars and other unwanted items.

Thanks to all for the help.

Brian

++++++++++++

On 5/30/2012 2:11 PM, Juanita Kimble wrote:
 Here is a free program that claims to uninstall tool bars and more.

Juanita
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:00 PM
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Portable Program Question

I hope everyone had a god holiday,

Hopefully everyone had a good time and is ready for a little challenge.

I finally have what I think may be an easy question!

I have ended up with some programs on my computer that I would like to delete.
But they are not in the add/remove location or in Reinstaller.

E.G, Isotonic-Eng7 Tool bar Helper is one of them.
Since it does not show up on the list, I am thinking it may be a portable program and I can just delete its .exe file.
However, I don't think I should delete the .exe file if they are not portable.

Is there an easy way to determine if a program is portable?

Brian

No virus found in this message.