[triadtechtalk] Re: Portable Program Question

  • From: armando barreiro <armandobarreiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 19:27:07 -0700 (PDT)

I install MSE in all the systems that come to me or that I build and MSE is the
only one that I use in the two Windows boxes that I still have.

Armando

                From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 11:01 PM

                   Howard, Chuck, & Armando,

                        Thanks for all the great tips.

                                "just deleting all the files. If you use
                            a registry cleaner"

                        Howard, I had stopped using a registry cleaner
                        since I thought W7 runs it periodically.

                        But that is sure good to know I can delete and
                        then scan the registry
                        !

                            "unwise.exe "

                        I had wondered for a long time what Unwise.exe
                        was-- it sounded nefarious!

                        But that sure got rid of Sotonic-Eng7!

                        I had used uninstall but never unwise.exe

                            "If it's listed in your
                            installed programs then it's not portable"

                        Armando, I had been following that line of
                        thinking but Softonic wasn't listed in
                        Add/Remove.

                        I think something I may had done back a while
                        ago could have eliminated some installed
                        programs from the

                         Add/Remove list because they were also not
                        listed in other uninstaller apps I check.

                          "all sorts of
                                        rogue junk that gets added on
                                        when you install lots of
                                        programs"

                        Chuck, I spent much of the AM  checking for tool
                        bars; I have a couple that were unwanted and
                        deleted them.

                        I must have been paying attention when
                        installing programs and unchecked nearly tool
                        bar options that had that option before
                        installing the program.

                        I was surprised that I didn't have a problem.

                    It is nice to learn a few more tricks.

                        And although I may not know if a program is
                        portable for sure, I know how to delete it and
                        compensate for left overs with a registry scan.

                        NOTE:
                        For anyone checking on their tool bars they have
                        I have included a listing below.

                        Thanks for the help again.

                        Brian

                       =================

                    The list is reproduced here from Calenderof
                      updates forum, with a few edits.

                          4 shared Desktop - Toolbar.

                          Ad-Aware - Google Chrome

                          Adobe Flash Player - Google Toolbar

                          Adobe Reader - eBay Desktop

                          Advanced SystemCare formerly known as Iobit
                      advanced one care - Yahoo Toolbar (selecting
                      no will still do changes on the system)

                          Aero Fox addon for Firefox - Ask toolbar.

                          Any Video Converter – Google Chrome.

                          AnVir TaskManager - Dealio Toolbar,
                      RegistryCleanerPro and some other third party
                      applications.

                          AOL Instant Messenger - AOL Toolbar

                          Apple’s Software Updater - Safari Browser,
                      QuickTime, iTunes

                          Applian FLV Player - Yahoo Toolbar

                          Auslogics Disk Defrag - Ask Toolbar.

                          Auslogics Duplicate File Finder - Ask Toolbar.

                          Auslogics Registry Defrag - Ask Toolbar

                          Auslogics System Information - Ask Toolbar

                          Avast - Google Chrome but not pre-selected.

                          AVG LinkScanner, AVG Free, AVG 9 - Yahoo
                      Toolbar

                          BitComet - Google Toolbar

                          BitTorrent 6.1.2/6.3 - Ask Toolbar

                          BurnAware Free - Ask Toolbar.

                          CCleaner (standard installer) - Yahoo Toolbar

                          CDBurnerXP - Ask toolbar, SpywareTerminator
                      and Uniblue Registry Booster.

                          ChrisTV Lite - ChrisTV Toolbar/Relevant
                      Knowledge adware.

                          ClamWin - Ask Toolbar

                          Corel Paint Shop Pro X - Yahoo! Toolbar but
                      not pre-checked.

                          CPU-Z - Ask Toolbar

                          CSmenu - Ask Toolbar.

                          Cyberlink BD Advisor - Google Toolbar.

                          Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 - Google Toolbar and BETA
                      of Moovielive

                          Daemon Tools - Search tool and sponsor ad
                      module

                          Defraggler - Yahoo Toolbar

                          DexTop - RegistryBooster.

                          Digsby instant messenger – Yahoo Toolbar,
                      MyFreeze NetAssistant for Firefox, Smart Shopper,
                      WeatherBug, Regsitry Power Cleaner, Relevant
                      Knowledge Toolbar, changes     browser homepgae to
                      My Freeze. Additionally, if uses your bandwidth to
                      crawl         the web for stock market research.

                          DivX - Yahoo Toolbar/Norton Security Scan

                          Driver Sweeper - Open Candy.

                          Duplicate Cleaner - Bing Toolbar and Search
                      Helper Extension in Firefox.

                          DVDx - Ask Toolbar

                          FLV Player - Yahoo! Toolbar.

                          FormatFactory - ebay shorcut and/or Ask
                      toolbar.

                          Foxit Pdf Reader - Ask Toolbar and ebay
                      shortcut in desktop

                          Freecommander - ebay shortcuts.

                          Free Download Manager - prechecked and bundles
                      Software Informer

                          Free YouTube to MP3 Converter - DVDSoft
                      Toolbar, search engine.

                          Game House Installers - Google Desktop Search
                      and/or Google Toolbar for IE.

                          GameVance Installer - Ask Toolbar and Weather
                      Channel Desktop

                          GetGo Download Manager - Ask Toolbar.

                          Glary Utilities - Ask Toolbar

                          GOM Player - Ask Toolbar.

                          Google Earth - Pre checked Google Toolbar
                      installation or Chrome browser.

                          Google Talk - no addon but will change default
                      search setting of IE

                          Hotspot Shield - Hotspot Shield Community
                      Toolbar (by default) from Conduit.

                          ICQ - ICQ Toolbar

                          IE7Pro - Offering ProgSense. Installed Grab
                      Pro Toolbar (using Ask search).

                          IM ToolPack - Crawler toolbar.

                          ImgBurn - Ask Toolbar and Uniblue Desktop
                      icons.

                          IMMUNET - Ask Toolbar.

                          Incredimail - MyStart Homepage and Search Page

                          IOBit Security 360 - IObit Toolbar.

                          IOBit Smart Defrag - Yahoo Toolbar/Search
                      Settings.

                          IObit Advanced SystemCare - Yahoo Toolbar.

                          IrfanView - Google Toolbar for IE and Google
                      Desktop Search

                          Isobuster - Ask Toolbar

                          IZArc - RegistryBooster.

                          Logitech Setpoint - Logitech Yahoo! Toolbar

                          ManyCam Virtual Webcam - Ask Toolbar and
                      Norton Security Scan.

                          Maxathon 2 - Facebook Sidebar Plugin

                          McAfee Site Advisor update - Yahoo! default
                      browser search

                          MediaCoder - Registry Reviver.

                          MessengerPlus! Live - Ask Toolbar.

                          Miro - Ask Toolbar.

                          MP3 WMA Converter - Yahoo Search and Delio
                      Comparsion Shopping Toolbar

                          MooO Connection Watcher - AutoComplete Pro

                          MyPhoneExplorer - offering ebay shortcuts

                          Nero Free, Nero Burning Rom or Nero 9
                      Essentials and Nero BurnLite 10 - Ask Toolbar

                          Norton products - Ask Search in Norton
                      toolbar. No option to remove and it was pushed by
                      including in a Norton patch.

                          Office Live add-in - includes Silverlight as
                      add-on

                          OpenCandy - offering third party software.
                      Report says that even if you do not install the
                      3rd party software, there is modification in the
                      registry, files and will add tracking cookies.
                      There's also Conduit Toolbar in the page

                          PalTalk - Ask Toolbar. There's a nag screen
                      prompting to upgrade from free to paid edition. No
                      way to turn off the nag.

                          Panda Cloud AV - Yahoo Search Assistant and a
                      pre-checked toolbar.

                          PC Tools Spyware Doctor - Google Toolbar

                          PC Tools Firewall Plus - Google Toolbar and
                      Threatfire

                          PC Tools ThreatFire - Google Toolbar.

                          PC Wizard 2010 - Ask Toolbar.

                          PDFCreator - Yahoo Toolbar. Also offers
                      PDFforger Toolbar and Widgi Toolbar (mybrowser
                      bar).

                          PDF-XChangeViewer - Ask Toolbar.

                          Perfect Utilities - Relevant Knowledge (RK)
                      toolbar

                          PhotoFiltre - Ask Toolbar.

                          Picpick - Ask Toolbar.

                          Quick Media Converter HD - Ask Toolbar, Ask
                      Search, Ask Homepage (by default).

                          Quicksys RegDefrag - Ask Toolbar.

                          RapidTyping - Bing Toolbar.

                          Recuva - Yahoo toolbar

                          RealPlayer - Google Chrome pre-checked.

                          Risingware Fast Start Genie - installs Fast
                      Start Genie and Risingware i-Desktop.

                          Shockwave Player - Norton Security Scan or
                      Google Toolbar

                          SIW (System Information for Windows) - Crawler
                      Toolbar. The installer of SIW (free version) will
                      offer SnagIt (report here)or PC Tools Registry
                      Mechanic (report here) but not pre-checked.

                          Skype - Google Toolbar and Browser Highlighter

                          Spiderplayer - Bing Toolbar.

                          Spyware Terminator - Web security guard,
                      Crawler

                          StarBurn - installs StarPort DVD-ROM Emulator
                      and SaveTubeVideo tools

                          Sun Java RE (online installer) - Google
                      Toolbar / Live Search for Windows Toolbar. There's
                      report too that Carbonite Backup is being offered
                      (depends on your location)

                          Sun Java - OpenOffice.org

                          Thoosje Sidebar - Amazon or eBay toolbar.

                          Trillian - Ask Toolbar, Weather Channel
                      Desktop and RegistryBooster

                          Unlocker 1.90 - eBay Desktop shortcuts and
                      Bing Toolbar (with 30 seconds waiting for
                      proceeding to install if you'll uncheck Bing
                      Toolbar install).

                          uTorrent - Ask Toolbar.

                          Vdownloader Plus - Ask Toolbar and eBay
                      shortcuts.

                          Veoh media player - Yahoo toolbar, search
                      engine change & search protection

                          VSO Image Resizer - Ask Toolbar.

                          WeatherBug - Ask Toolbar.

                          Webroot SpySweeper - Ask Toolbar

                          Wildfire CD Ripper - Download Energy Torrent
                      toolbar

                          Winamp - Winamp Toolbar

                          Windows Live Installer - Windows Live Toolbar
                      and Sign-in Assistant

                          Windows SteadyState - Windows Live Toolbar

                          Winzip - RegistryBooster and Google Toolbar

                          xplorer2Lite - Conduit toolbar

                          XP-Antispy - eBay Shortcuts.

                          YaHoo! Instant Messenger - YaHoo! toolbar,
                      with ‘YaHoo! Search Protection’ and homepage
                      change to YaHoo!

                          ZoneAlarm - Conduit toolbar. Search powered by
                      Google.